DDY Talk

Behind the Music Revisited: Styx - Review

Ron

Honestly, a boring repackaging of old material. 45 minutes of material from the original episode, and then 15 minutes covering the time after the original episode aired. Dennis was not interviewed for the new material, which concentrated on Styx. If this is consistant with how they have done other BTM episodes, I can't beat up VH1 for doing that. I wouldn't know, though, because I haven't watched any other episode. It would have been nice if they would have mentioned, even briefly, what Dennis was doing after the lawsuit was setteled. After all, he did have a #1 song in Canada.

I had trouble watching the older material with the fast-flashing, constantly moving editing that was done 12 years ago really starts to hurt the eyes after awhile. (I never liked it back then, either)

It was fun to chat with others during the show, too.

• Like 1

I thought it was a Styx puff piece that was designed to show how great the band is doing without Dennis. While touting some BS statistics like BBT theory was their biggest selling album since 1984 (when it sold less than 50,000 copies and there was this little album called Edge of the Century in 1991 that sold more than 10 times that amount), it failed to mention that the band can only sell 2000 seat halls when not aligned with another big name band, the Yes concert series this summer which maybe was filled to 1/2 capacity at best,etc. etc. The fact that they didn't even mention Dennis and the fact that anything that was pro Dennis (Rick Kogan, Bob Garcia) was removed and anything anti the current Styx story was removed (Vose's comment "I'll always feel that Styx was DDY, TS, JY...etc) and the leaving in of the complete lie about the Texas jam shows that Styx essentially had editorial control over the content of this. So much for fair and balanced. I wouldn't be surprised if that scumbag Charlie Brusco funded the whole thing. Quite disappointing.

Edited by jyisaslimeball

If that's really all they did, then I'm better off not seeing it. It is completely appalling how Tommy and James still have so much hatred for a man that made them famous and the fact that they are trying to re-write the history of Styx to not include him in any way? I will never give this abomination trying to call themselves Styx a dime of my money. I was even going to buy the dvd coming out here in a few weeks. Not any more though. I support Dennis DeYoung and ONLY him!

It did the same thing for me as it did twelve years ago..they failed at trashing Dennis IMO..Tommy came off as immature and Jy came off ass an a-hole..and was nice to see that they did briefly mention that Glen was not happy either..plus..the Barry Manilow thing..come on Tommy..bluegrass? Yes I Can off Cyclorama? Geez..

I thought it was a Styx puff piece that was designed to show how great the band is doing without Dennis. While touting some BS statistics like BBT theory was their biggest selling album since 1984 (when it sold less than 50,000 copies and there was this little album called Edge of the Century in 1991 that sold more than 10 times that amount), it failed to mention that the band can only sell 2000 seat halls when not aligned with another big name band, the Yes concert series this summer which maybe was filled to 1/2 capacity at best,etc. etc. The fact that they didn't even mention Dennis and the fact that anything that was pro Dennis (Rick Kogan, Bob Garcia) was removed and anything anti the current Styx story was removed (Vose's comment "I'll always feel that Styx was DDY, TS, JY...etc) and the leaving in of the complete lie about the Texas jam shows that Styx essentially had editorial control over the content of this. So much for fair and balanced. I wouldn't be surprised if that scumbag Charlie Brusco funded the whole thing. Quite disappointing.

As far as the edit of Jim Vose's comment, since the airing of the original he has back peddled on that comment. He claims they took that out of context. What aired was pretty much what I expected. They really chopped out anything that focused on what Dennis has been up to since the split. It could be possible that VH1 had to agree to certain things on content in this updated version to get the updated interviews with those that appeared in the updated portion. Unbiased this piece was certainly not. If I had to pick between the two versions, I would pick the original. This makes me wonder about the other BTM episodes and just how much those may be slanted in one direction or the other. It's a shame that they just can't present the material in a unbiased way. It will be interesting to see if Dennis' camp makes any comment regarding this updated version. My thinking is for the most part, Dennis couldn't give a rat's ass about this stuff at this point. I think we as fans get our feathers ruffled by this stuff more then he does.

Thanks to Ron for setting up the chat during the show. It was fun.

Edited by Boomchild

I didnt see it... did anyone from the band participate in the updated segments(s)?

On the new segments TS, JY, CP, Gowan and Todd did. Plus their Manager who basically tried to just about distort every accomplishment the band has had since Dennis was booted. The best one was him discussing their Super Bowl appearances. To listen to him you would think they were the headline act at half time. I also chuckled when the example of Gowan bringing a lot to the table was him leaping off his keyboard onto the stage.

I also chuckled when the example of Gowan bringing a lot to the table was him leaping off his keyboard onto the stage.

Well, they could not very well mention his "singing" as bringing anything to the table.

Oh, and Japan TV video? Anyone seen it? Dennis leaps from the stage to the top of the piano and back to center stage. Just sayin'....

It's been awhile since I have posted - thanks to Ron for emailing us for the heads up that VH1C was airing this.

I DVRed it and watched it tonight. I pretty much agree with Mr.Roboto571985 in that Dennis was what made STYX great - and Tommy (although he is my idol and I love him since I am a guitar player) became a rock star by joining STYX. He might not have ever become famous. Conversely - STYX went from a good band to a GREAT band when Tommy joined.

I totally disagreed with Tommy in that because they did a ballad or two on Cornerstone and Paradise Theatre, they were going all ballads. The Barry Manilow comment was way off base. There were plenty of rockers on those albums too. I think First Time was just as good as Babe and JY's solo in it was awesome - one of my favorites to play along with Tommy's solo in Don't Let It End. They achieved great balance in the songs then.

I think I said this before (maybe not) I went and saw STYX in 2003 when they did the Cyclorama Tour in 2003 at West Palm Beach Amphiteatre - that iteration had Glen on Bass. Although they were good - they weren't great. That was the last time I have seen STYX and will not see them again. To me (and I have a feeling that many of you do too) - that STYX is not STYX without Dennis DeYoung. Also STYX is not STYX without Dennis, Tommy and JY.

I am also wondering if I should get the 2 DVD set of Grand Illusion/Pieces Of Eight performance - not really sure yet.

Having been in about 10 bands before (and 3 that performed and made money) I can relate to Dennis' interview that being in a band is like your Mother, Mother-in-law, Sister and Aunt all in the kitchen at once trying to cook Thanksgiving Dinner. Pretty tough.

Still - I really hope they will all get back together again once more.

Rockboy,

Delray Beach, FL