DDY Talk

Question For Larry Via Facebook

Chicago Guy

... they did Babe, with Gowan...

Wow, that must have been a real treat! ;) They dropped that song from the set list when

I saw them. I am very surprised they chose that song, since they seemed to dread doing it.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have only seen the videos and a few television appearances. More than enough to know I have no desire to see them live.

I never saw the real Styx live either, but one viewing of Caught in the Act or Return to Paradise lets one realize what Dennis brought to this group. There. Is. No. Substitute.

Agreed.

This is why I will never see them live again, unless Dennis rejoins.

Wow, that must have been a real treat! ;) They dropped that song from the set list when

I saw them. I am very surprised they chose that song, since they seemed to dread doing it.

I was firmly under the impression they only performed Babe one time since Dennis left. For a show in Japan where they were specifically asked to include it in the set list. I'm fairly certain it wasn't Babe, more likely it was Lady that was heard at the concert being talked about here.

And please....no reunions for Dennis and company. I'd so rather leave them apart at this point. Just not worth it.

Liz

In case I have EVER given the impression that I want a reunion, may I reinforce what Liz said here. I don't ever want to see Dennis back in Styx. He has outgrown and outpaced his former group and I think it would be a comedown, to be honest, to be back in the group.

I think the possibility of a one-off reunion may possibly exist, but that may just be in an alternate universe where JY is actually a decent guy.

We already see that the "Styx" website has erased Dennis from ever having been in the group, so he needs to return the favor. Erase them and move on.

(I know. I know. That is impossible, given the history, but it is how I feel about it.)

I like Gowan. Not a popular opinion here, I know, but I like him.

I actually really enjoyed the Gowan/Burtnick version of Styx. I thought the two of them brought a great deal of enthusiasm onto the stage. I saw that version a few times, and enjoyed it every time. It was a difference experience than seeing the band with Dennis, but still fun.

And my take on Gowan singing Dennis' songs was always this: It's kind of like seeing one of the Bourne Identity films. If you're expecting a faithful adaptation of Ludlum's novels, you're going to be bitterly disappointed. If you can just enjoy them as movies in the thriller genre, they're terrific.

In case I have EVER given the impression that I want a reunion, may I reinforce what Liz said here. I don't ever want to see Dennis back in Styx. He has outgrown and outpaced his former group and I think it would be a comedown, to be honest, to be back in the group.

I think the possibility of a one-off reunion may possibly exist, but that may just be in an alternate universe where JY is actually a decent guy.

We already see that the "Styx" website has erased Dennis from ever having been in the group, so he needs to return the favor. Erase them and move on.

(I know. I know. That is impossible, given the history, but it is how I feel about it.)

I can't help it... If they could all just get over themselves and make amends...I'd be very happy about it. They all had things to offer the band, and it was that interplay I think that made the band so unique. So, yes, I'd LOVE to see a Styx reunion.

As much as I like Dennis alone, it sort of bugs me to see the family up on stage with him. LOL. I'd rather see Styx. But at least I have seen Dennis solo, while I will never see Styx without him.

I just love Larry's solo work, and the new material he brought to STYX.

He 's an entertaining and kind spirited individual.

Unfortunately, I cannot stand when he does Dennis' material.

I have to turn it off or will slit my wrists if forced to hear it.

It annoys me so badly.........just like Celine Dion's Titanic song.

Then again, Dennis' duet with Eric Lapointe doesn't do anything for me either. Thank goodness for the US version!!!!!

I was firmly under the impression they only performed Babe one time since Dennis left. For a show in Japan where they were specifically asked to include it in the set list. I'm fairly certain it wasn't Babe, more likely it was Lady that was heard at the concert being talked about here.

And please....no reunions for Dennis and company. I'd so rather leave them apart at this point. Just not worth it.

Liz

Yea, you are probably right... it was Lady and any other song Dennis usually did lead vocal... I have nothing against Gowen, but it really sucked hearing him do those songs... It might as well been any cover band