DDY Talk

And this board is just bustling....

TimH

A new album out...and it is just generating so much talk value here! There has not been a new post on this board in a week....

If DDY fans aren't talking about it, can't see how we can expect anyone else to talk about it...

I didn't think an album could get less buzz than 10 on Broadway or Boomchild, but 100 Years the US release has them both beat. A shame too, because it was a great album. Dead in the water now.

:-O

Edited by TimH

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think all of us were hoping for more re: 100 Years, US version. It did not happen, so time to move on. I am one who felt it deserved some kind of attention from the mainstream media but that opportunity has ended, I fear.

At least he got the support to release new music from Rounder. Not many dropped-from-their-labels musicians can say the same. And we have a great album to add to our collections and enjoy, no?

I bought this CD from Canada and I have enjoyed it since that release date . Maybe eveyone was waiting for the U.S. release to be sooner . I really enjoy the 3 new songs on the U.S. version. I think it kind of lost it's steam coming out so late here ?

John

I bought this CD from Canada and I have enjoyed it since that release date . Maybe eveyone was waiting for the U.S. release to be sooner . I really enjoy the 3 new songs on the U.S. version. I think it kind of lost it's steam coming out so late here ?

John

At least Cyclorama isn't getting any airplay either...(snicker)

This album hasn't been out much more than a month. How long do things like this take, anyway?

The reviews I've read have all been good, which is saying something.

Still, I cannot help but wonder what would happen if DDY and the rest of em in THAT band got together to make a record....would it get airplay, or not?

Perhaps because (and I assume here) that most on this board already had the Canadian version. Yes, it's a solid cd (either version), but it's incredibly naive to think it would generate any momentum here. He/they/whomever waited over 2 years to release it stateside. Given market trends these days...I rather believe he fulfilled an obligation and has moved on.

As for participation on this board, it's hit or miss.

Liz (who doubts and certainly doesn't wish for any reunion, that said reunion would generate anything).

Edited by mendelstyx

I hope that Dennis never reunites with the band that calls themselves Styx these days. He's doing great without his ex bandmates .............. 100 Years From Now just goes to show you how talent this man is. I agree this is best solo effort to date !

The music industry just stinks ! There's alot of artist out there still making great music . Some are releasing them thru their websites or independent labels. If you want to buy new music , It's out there .........

Dave Mason,Burton Cummings,Asia,Toto,Eagles,Deep Purple,Lou Gramm,Tall Stories

As Liz stated, this album, except for 2 songs, is over two years old for over 90% of the people that are "regulars" here. Any new discussion that may come from the US release I would expect to come from anyone new that would join because they read a review of the CD and then found their way here. And then they might only read and not be inclined to register and post.

This board exists to support Dennis, but does not guarantee any certain amount of activity. Many people come, read information and leave. Also, based on the number of fans that see him in concert, only a small percentage visit this site. Since I pay for everything to make this site what it is, I do not have the funds to do any kind of advertising. What advertising has been done in the past, while helping show support for Dennis, only brought one new registration to this site.

Do I wish that this site was more popular and active? Sure I do. But there's a limit to what I can do for that. I try not to over post because I do not want this to be a "me" board--it's not about me, it's about Dennis. Plus who would want to participate on a board where people post complaints about the board, instead of trying to help the situation. There are other boards out there that have plenty of complaining, mudslinging, name calling, and negative, hurtful crap out there, and they can keep it.

Dennis' statements about his expectations for the CD are as accurate as you can get for the situation about the release. Sure it's a good album, and it deserves more attention. However, there are many things that are working against any kind of recognizable success (by our standards as fans). Even though he has been gone from Styx for nine years, the mainstream listening audience would have no idea who Dennis DeYoung is, (as an artist "brand name"). If this CD was released as a Styx CD, with Dennis a part of the group, the name recognition alone (plus the fact that this CD sounds more like "classic" Styx than anything the current incarnation has put out. The record company made an investment to release the CD, so I am sure that they are looking at making back their investment, but know that it is unrealistic to expect too much more.

As Liz stated, this album, except for 2 songs, is over two years old for over 90% of the people that are "regulars" here. Any new discussion that may come from the US release I would expect to come from anyone new that would join because they read a review of the CD and then found their way here. And then they might only read and not be inclined to register and post.

This board exists to support Dennis, but does not guarantee any certain amount of activity. Many people come, read information and leave. Also, based on the number of fans that see him in concert, only a small percentage visit this site. Since I pay for everything to make this site what it is, I do not have the funds to do any kind of advertising. What advertising has been done in the past, while helping show support for Dennis, only brought one new registration to this site.

Do I wish that this site was more popular and active? Sure I do. But there's a limit to what I can do for that. I try not to over post because I do not want this to be a "me" board--it's not about me, it's about Dennis. Plus who would want to participate on a board where people post complaints about the board, instead of trying to help the situation. There are other boards out there that have plenty of complaining, mudslinging, name calling, and negative, hurtful crap out there, and they can keep it.

Dennis' statements about his expectations for the CD are as accurate as you can get for the situation about the release. Sure it's a good album, and it deserves more attention. However, there are many things that are working against any kind of recognizable success (by our standards as fans). Even though he has been gone from Styx for nine years, the mainstream listening audience would have no idea who Dennis DeYoung is, (as an artist "brand name"). If this CD was released as a Styx CD, with Dennis a part of the group, the name recognition alone (plus the fact that this CD sounds more like "classic" Styx than anything the current incarnation has put out. The record company made an investment to release the CD, so I am sure that they are looking at making back their investment, but know that it is unrealistic to expect too much more.

So, Ron, do you think if 100 Years From Now had actually had the name Styx affixed to its label, it would have gotten more attention? I suspect it would have, which is kind of why my disillusionment with that band has grown significantly, of late.

For the record, I had NO clue 100 years from now was a rock album until I happened to wake up one morning to hear Dennis on the Bob Rivers Show (guy based out of Seattle who hosts a nationally syndicated radio show every morning on the classic rock station here in seattle) sampling pieces of this album! The hosts of the show were REALLY impressed with it, and that, along with the samples they played, piqued my interest...so I grabbed the album and promptly fell in love with it. OUTSTANDING record. Sounds like a cross between Pieces of Eight and Paradise Theater!

I've never heard the Canadian Release. Just the US.

I think if it had been done by Styx, more attention would have been paid to it. However, "Styx" is getting theirs for sure. Cyclorama was largely blown off because of Dennis's absence. Why? Because WHO CARES about a band (that people have come to love and associate with Dennis) putting out a new album with some new lead singer. It's also why we don't hear new Journey, either.

I've never heard ONE song from that record played on any rock station, either.

Edited by Pamela

So, Ron, do you think if 100 Years From Now had actually had the name Styx affixed to its label, it would have gotten more attention? I suspect it would have, which is kind of why my disillusionment with that band has grown significantly, of late.

I think that name recognition has a lot of influence, so if the band Styx included Dennis and they released this CD, I really believe that it would have more recognition. I'm not putting down any of the positive press that this CD has received (and for a release by what some people may call a "has-been"), and it certainly has received a good bit of positive recognition. As far as the name, brand name recognition goes a long way. For example, if you were to go out and by a new television, you would look at buying a "Sony", and probably not even give a "Masaru Ibuka" a second look, if it was a better television. (Masaru Ibuka was the co-founder of Sony).

Plus, since the CD sounds so much like classic Styx, an unknowing person could hear a song, think it actually was Styx, and then go looking for a non-existent Styx CD.

I think that name recognition has a lot of influence, so if the band Styx included Dennis and they released this CD, I really believe that it would have more recognition. I'm not putting down any of the positive press that this CD has received (and for a release by what some people may call a "has-been"), and it certainly has received a good bit of positive recognition. As far as the name, brand name recognition goes a long way. For example, if you were to go out and by a new television, you would look at buying a "Sony", and probably not even give a "Masaru Ibuka" a second look, if it was a better television. (Masaru Ibuka was the co-founder of Sony).

Plus, since the CD sounds so much like classic Styx, an unknowing person could hear a song, think it actually was Styx, and then go looking for a non-existent Styx CD.

Out of curiosity, have you actually listened to Cyclorama? That album has been lauded as "Styx's" best since Pieces of Eight by a lot of the reviewers I've read on Amazon. Not sure WHO they think they're kidding....the production quality on the record is NOT up to the standards of their earlier efforts....and we both know why of course (Dennis)

Just curious what you thought of it. I have found they sound rather....generic now. Those lush keyboard/guitar melodies interwoven together so intricately.....their trademark sound that is.....is gone. It's like they've begun to remind me of a hair-band lol

This is not the case with 100 years from now. But who should be surprised....really?