DDY Talk

This time next year

Rubulator2k

It's pretty glaringly clear to me what that song was written about. Reminds me of "Rocking the Paradise" for some reason. Fantastic song!!

• 2 weeks later...

Have I mentioned what a great song This time next year is... oh wait... thats what this thread is about... Silly me...

Who started this thread... what great taste in music... oh wait,,, it was me.... Dont I feel silly... /blush

Peace

Rubulator2k

aka Doug

PS... It really is a good song... honest... I think I've even seen it said on DDYTalk somewhere...

I hope This time next year gets some traction... that is such a great song

I agree it is an awesome song and should have been an awesome single. Except that the record company absolutely sucks and put ZERO promotion behind it. Did they even send it to radio stations? It was never listed in Radio and Records as going for adds. Did Dennis even play it on his one TV appearance (Bonnie Hunt show)? No. It can't be called a single because it was never treated as such.

Such a complete waste - why did Rounder even bother releasing this? It hasn't sold didly because it has gotten absolutely ZERO promotion. It is a total shame.

ROUNDER SUCKS

Edited by TimH

I agree it is an awesome song and should have been an awesome single. Except that the record company absolutely sucks and put ZERO promotion behind it. Did they even send it to radio stations? It was never listed in Radio and Records as going for adds. Did Dennis even play it on his one TV appearance (Bonnie Hunt show)? No. It can't be called a single because it was never treated as such.

Such a complete waste - why did Rounder even bother releasing this? It hasn't sold didly because it has gotten absolutely ZERO promotion. It is a total shame.

ROUNDER SUCKS

How did the album hit in Canada such that Dennis got a number one single out of it?? What does Canada do right that the US doesn't?

They don't send singles to radio stations anymore. The record companies sends stations memos to download the singles from their sight.

My friend in radio received a memo when the album was released and that "This Time Next Year" was the first single and it was available for download.

All the music at most stations are on computers now.

I guess at this point all we can do is hope... Kinda like how Lady was a late bloomer...

Its kinda sad, not just for Dennis' latest work... but for all artists... for every Styx, that as Dennis has said got lucky that that 1 DJ in Chicago decided to push Lady into the limelight so that everyone could hear what good band they were. Theres so many more really good ones we never hear because they can not get the foot hold to push them along... So they have to give up and move on to other things to pay their bills.

And in Dennis' case, he already has the track record of a successfull artist. So you can imagine the difficulty for the unknown's...

Life really isn't fair sometimes... Luckily we usually still find happiness in other things :) And who knows, this time next year... ?

Peace

Rubulator2k

aka Doug

If it is ok, I would like to perhaps be a voice of reason on this particular subject.

First, like all of you, I am a huge DDY fan, and have been since I first "discovered" Styx when I was 10 years old. That was the year Paradise Theater came out. Dennis is what drew me in... his voice, his personality, and his song-writing. I grew up in Southern Illinois, with Chicago being a 4 hour drive north. In 1986, I went up and saw his concert at Grant park (I think that's where it was...) when they were celebrating the tour of the miniature Black Wall Vietnam War memorial. Dennis was one of the ring-leaders in bringing it to Chicago. I had chills up my spine when he walked on stage waving the American flag to the cheers of thousands of Vietnam veterans in attendance.

But, I've digressed...

Now, I absolutely love his new record. I have been involved in the music industry here in Nashville or many years, and understand how radio "used" to work, and how it works today. I know the mentality of programmers and owners, as well as record industry execs. DDY's reviews have been overwhelmingly positive, and that's to the surprise of many, including myself, since reviewers of music have become so jaded over the years.

Here is the reality. Here in America, there is no realistic radio outlet for Dennis' music. When a 62-year-old white-haired former 70's bandleader puts out a new single (sort of) no one cares. Period. It has nothing to do with the music itself. It's the profile. To Dennis' credit, he has put together a record that artist half his age would be proud to produce. But the average program director at most of the conglomerate-owned radio stations don't even know who the guy is. And since Rounder is mostly known for bluegrass and country, his recored disappears even further into obscurity as far as the radio guys are concerned.

BUT, I am willing to bet you that Dennis is still tickled to even have a label in the states that is interested in signing him, much less getting any distribution. So, let's all revel in the fact that Dennis has triumphed artistically, and gotten more visibility - however limited it has been - that the vast majority of artists his age. Bravo!!! It makes me proud as both a fan, as well as a music professional!

-Jwil