DDY Talk
Sign in to follow this  
blt

Dennis in Brampton (Toronto)

First time I have seen Dennis play. Small intimate venue. I don’t think there was a bad seat in the house.

He played 3 of the new songs. 100 Years from Now, Save Me and This Time Next Year. The English version of 100 Years is very good. He had a cheat sheet on the floor for the song (presumable so he would not accidentally sing the French words). Jimmy played the guitar solos in 100 years and TTNY and I found the TTNY intro is better live than on the CD. Dennis made a few jokes about him finally being able to talk English at a concert in Canada. He pretended to call Eric out to join him on the song and I think it was Hank who imitated Eric’s voice for a couple of words during the small comedic bit. As I indicated elsewhere, he said Save me will be released this week or next as a radio single.

Jimmy sings some of the harmonies in some of the songs. Looks like he is still getting used to it or learning them. But I liked his participation because it drowns out the female harmonies a little more. I was happy that Suzanne and Kate are positioned out of the way and other than on SMTW you can ignore them for the most part.

I really liked Jimmy's playing. He moves around, plays with enthusiasm and interacts a lot with Dennis. I still don’t understand why Tommy D’s guitar is wired into the equipment when Hank and Jimmy go wireless. Makes him a little boring to watch. The guitar work was generally very good and a lot better than I thought it would be. I can't imagine what a DDY show would sound like with only one guitar.

Over all I enjoyed the show. Dennis' voice is still amazing after all these years.

I did have a few minor issues with the concert:

The crowd was lame. They enjoyed the show but many of them have a larger membership to the venue so it was more theatre crowd than rock crowd. Very little standing and other than a few die hards not as much sing along participation.

Don’t let it end and Desert Moon. I don’t care for those songs and would rather have heard something like Queen of Spades (though Don’t let it end was much better than the recorded version).

The drums. The playing was fine, they simply are not loud enough.

Edited by blt

I was at that show.

I agree with Btl's review.

But I have to add a few things...

I saw the show with a Canadian friend, who said everyone that I was there in Canada just to see Dennis' concert. So the manager of the theater came to my seat and told me that she was surprised to know that I came from Italy just to see Dennis and that she wished to help me to meet Dennis.

After the concert I talked to John Blasucci and Jimmy (I don't remember his surname...). Jimmy gave me the set list and both signed it.

Then the theater's manager called me and invited me into a private room where there were only a few fans (about 20) and where Dennis got an interview. He told us that he would accept only 3 questions from his fans, because he was tired.

I didn't understand the whole interview... because I can understand English only if it's spoken slowly.

Anyway, at the end of the interview, a girl who was at my table, told Dennis that I was there only to see his concert. He asked me a few question in Italian (what's your name, how are you). Then the girl told him that I wished to take a picture with him. He looked at Suzanne, she made a sign with his head, like to say "no", so Dennis said that they were too tired and didn't allow pictures with fans.

At first I didn't get angry, because I was excited... I saw his concert and talked to him. It was enough for me. But some of his fans were furious, because they thought he didn't have a good behavior with me.

yes... honestly he didn't manifest a good behavior...

I do know that he has lots of fans there, and that an European fan don't change his life.

But it was asked him to take only one picture...

Friends... I have to admit that I am a bit disappointed.

I tried to email Suzanne some months before the concert, but no answers.

Then they both denied a picture...

I don't know how many fans have a so long trip to see his concerts...

Anyway, I enjoyed the concert and had lot of fun.

The manager of the theater and all her collaborators were very nice with me. Canadians are wonderful! I think that I will come back to Canada soon.

But I'm not sure I will take another flight paying more than 1000 bucks only to see Dennis once again. :sad:

I was at that show.

I agree with Btl's review.

But I have to add a few things...

I saw the show with a Canadian friend, who said everyone that I was there in Canada just to see Dennis' concert. So the manager of the theater came to my seat and told me that she was surprised to know that I came from Italy just to see Dennis and that she wished to help me to meet Dennis.

After the concert I talked to John Blasucci and Jimmy (I don't remember his surname...). Jimmy gave me the set list and both signed it.

Then the theater's manager called me and invited me into a private room where there were only a few fans (about 20) and where Dennis got an interview. He told us that he would accept only 3 questions from his fans, because he was tired.

I didn't understand the whole interview... because I can understand English only if it's spoken slowly.

Anyway, at the end of the interview, a girl who was at my table, told Dennis that I was there only to see his concert. He asked me a few question in Italian (what's your name, how are you). Then the girl told him that I wished to take a picture with him. He looked at Suzanne, she made a sign with his head, like to say "no", so Dennis said that they were too tired and didn't allow pictures with fans.

At first I didn't get angry, because I was excited... I saw his concert and talked to him. It was enough for me. But some of his fans were furious, because they thought he didn't have a good behavior with me.

yes... honestly he didn't manifest a good behavior...

I do know that he has lots of fans there, and that an European fan don't change his life.

But it was asked him to take only one picture...

Friends... I have to admit that I am a bit disappointed.

I tried to email Suzanne some months before the concert, but no answers.

Then they both denied a picture...

I don't know how many fans have a so long trip to see his concerts...

Anyway, I enjoyed the concert and had lot of fun.

The manager of the theater and all her collaborators were very nice with me. Canadians are wonderful! I think that I will come back to Canada soon.

But I'm not sure I will take another flight paying more than 1000 bucks only to see Dennis once again. :sad:

Please take this in the spirit intended. I am sure that it was not intended to upset you. I realize that going that far to see an entertainer is a major step, however, there are many fans who never get as close as you. And for him, while he tries to appease everyone, he cannot. It is a no win situation for him. Were he to take that "one picture" with everyone who asks for it, he would never get finished. I have witnessed fans abuse the privilege on numerous occasions. Please don't misunderstand me, I do recognize and understand your disappointment, but at every concert there is a fan who has a special reason for thinking they deserve a photo or a chance to talk to him. It is no different for other entertainers. Again, I am sorry that the photo didn't get to happen for you. and, for what it's worth, I commend you for making such a long journey. Perhaps in the future, you will view your trip with some irreplaceable memories.

In terms of e-mailing Suzanne and not getting a response, I would imagine her ability to answer everyone is limited by how much they have going on. There are a lot of private shows and charity events and miscellaneous activities they have going on. Again, I am sorry you didn't receive an answer.

I am glad that the Canadians showed the friendliness and hospitality they are known for.

Liz

Thanks for the answer, Liz. And don't be sorry!

I'm not so upset... only a bit disappointed.

I do know that if each fan asks him to take a picture, he would never get finished...

But that night no one else asked a picture...

Anyway, I enjoyed the show and was very happy, because I never thought I could have the chance to see him in concert.

Perhaps in the future, you will view your trip with some irreplaceable memories.

I already have irreplaceable memories... I met some wonderful friends! :smile:

I saw his concert and talked to him. It was enough for me.

Well, you sort of said it all there. I know, traveling all that way, you wanted a bit more, and a photo memento, but Liz has stated it very well above. And TRUST ME! Those who had not asked for a picture would have. I know from experience. Dennis knows, too. One begets more requests even though many claim they would not have asked in the first place. I wasn't there, but I am willing to bet on it.

I believe your concert experience was really wonderful for you. Getting to go backstage is a privilege few get and you had your wish granted.

But some of his fans were furious, because they thought he didn't have a good behavior with me.

This bothers the heck out of me. They are getting a personal, private meeting, after the artist has given of himself onstage an enormous amount, yet they are angry because they feel someone was "slighted" by not getting a photo. I am sorry, but that makes me furious.

I have always counted it a privilege to simply meet any artist I admire. A picture is really nice to have as a memory, but should not be considered "bad behavior" if not granted.

Anyway, I enjoyed the show and was very happy, because I never thought I could have the chance to see him in concert.

THAT is what really matters. Everything else you got was a nice bonus. :smile:

Sounds like Suzanne was pulling the strings if he looked at her first.

At least you got to meet him. I would not even know where to start to get back stage (and I was rushing to the parking lot to avoid any traffic).

Sounds like Suzanne was pulling the strings if he looked at her first.

At least you got to meet him. I would not even know where to start to get back stage (and I was rushing to the parking lot to avoid any traffic).

Just in case no one has thought of this, it is possible that they had no more time to stay because they had to drive to their next hotel in Kitchener and had to leave or Dennis had another interview early the next morning or or any of a number of things. We don't know what kind of schedule he keeps before and after concerts, either. We only see things from our perspective. Dennis may have been checking with Suzanne to see if there was any time left for pics and there simply wasn't.

Plus, the man is 60 and I don't know of anyone that age who can still rock it on stage like he does and NOT be tired. I certainly wouldn't ask my 60 year old mother for a picture after she worked as hard as Dennis does onstage. :-)

That being said, I can certainly understand the disappointment. But wow, what validation you got by being invited backstage!!

Just in case no one has thought of this, it is possible that they had no more time to stay because they had to drive to their next hotel in Kitchener and had to leave or Dennis had another interview early the next morning or or any of a number of things.

Nothing to do with the photo ops or going backstage, but my guess is that they were staying in Toronto, either downtown, or at an Airport Hotel. Kitchener is under 2 hours from Toronto.

Oh, and thanks to everyone who posted videos to youtube in the past. Watching them on stage really helped me when it came time to selecting seats (centre right)

Oh, and thanks to everyone who posted videos to youtube in the past. Watching them on stage really helped me when it came time to selecting seats (centre right)

LOL! I always sit to the right (stage left) when I can so I can watch Tommy play. :-) I could watch him all day. Dennis comes over to the right often enough that I get a good look at him too!