DDY Talk
mtlfan

Dennis in St. Jean de Richelieu, Quebec

Holy Crow, what a show! What a crowd! My ears are still ringing from the audience screaming behind me.

What I'm going to do is start uploading my pics and then I'll come back to post my review. The pics actually help me remember all the little details.

One item of note; the show was being filmed by three cameras. It was neat to actually be able to see John's fingers fly across his keyboard via tv camera; someone in the audience can't his fingers because of the slant of the keyboard. More about the rumours on that later.

And yes, Eric LaPointe was there, so was Stephane Dufour and surprise, Glen Burtnik!

Ooohhh, Amanda! I forgot you were going to this one! Look forward to your DETAILED review. ;) and, of course, the pictures.

Was it a sold out concert? Also, what about songs from the new album? (Heh. I know you are going to give a DETAILED review, but thought I would add those reminders)

Always so happy to hear when the audience is into his music. Makes it an even better concert.

Carry on.

(PS. VERY interesting about the cameras.)

Hi All. I too have uploaded pictures from last nights show. Hope you enjoy them. I will wait for Amanda to post her review of the show before I comment myself but I would like to say that as always I really enjoyed the show. Being there with Amanda who is also another true fan makes it all the more enjoyable. There are 2 other quick comments that I would like to make as well. Right after DDY's show here in June I had heard a rumor that his record company here (DEP) had asked him if he would be interested in recording a show from here for DVD release. Well last nights show was being recorded so all I can say is stay tuned for possible good news of a live DVD rock concert release.

The last comment for now is about Eric Lapointe. All though I enjoy his vocals on the title track 100 Years From Now, I think that he is a disgrace to Quebec as a performer. He showed no class last night as he came on stage, lit cigarette in hand, smoking away. As well he looked as if he was on something, most probably drunk as that is his reputation here. What a real shame. That to me was the only black mark of the concert. That's it for now.

You can tell that Markir and I were standing next to each other by looking at the pics! :-)

I have to rack in for work tomorrow, but it is my intention to post as soon as I have 20 minutes free during the day.

Here's hoping that the the DVD rumours pan out because Quebec audiences really respond to Dennis. I'd buy the DVD in no time flat!

I was able to upload three videos that I took at the concert earlier today on YouTube just to show how much the Quebec audience appreciates his music. You should be able to find them by looking for user "MtlLady64".

Markir, will you be uploading yours too?

Until later!

Markir, will you be uploading yours too?

Yes, as soon as I get the chance I will upload and post the link here.

Yes, as soon as I get the chance I will upload and post the link here.

Oh yeah, links -

(Warning - these are not quality videos - they're just to give you an idea of the concert.)

Edited by mtlfan

Okay, let's see what I can remember. If I've forgotten anything, Markir may be able to spare a brain cell or two and fill in what I missed.

We got there at 6:00 p.m. and there were already people waiting at the front of the stage in the "standing only" area. Markir and I only had two people in front of us. There was a fence approx. 6 feet away from the stage, which we found out later was space for the third tv camera, crew, photographers and loads of DEP people. Behind the "standing only" area there was the field and people had set up there with their camp chairs. I'm not very good at estimating how many people there are in a venue, but there were lots more than there were at Ste. Adele, and the age variation was much wider. There were entire families, teenagers but mostly folks our age.

Right after the opening act, the (very efficient I might add) DDY crew swooped in and began to ready the stage. Matthew was the first one on the stage carrying heavy lighting equipment. The lighting was a bit different than usual for this concert, but perfect as usual.

It didn't take long for DDY to come onstage after that at approx. 9:30 p.m. It soon became apparent to me that this wasn't a usual concert. It was much more "efficient" and not as relaxed. Everyone was ready to go, there were none of Dennis' usual jokes, and as soon as one song was done, the next was introduced and off they'd go. That being said, Dennis was introducing his songs in french and most of what he said that night was in french. (Okay, he was having problems with his prepositions, but as long as you try, the Quebec folk are happy!) He did quip in Quebecois (including the swear word any everything - this was after having conferred with Stephane Dufour for about 15 seconds) that it was cold that evening (and it was) and that we'd heat up the place in no time!

The setlist was the same as usual, he played three songs from his new CD, Save Me, This Time Next Year and, of course, 100 Years from Now with Eric LaPointe. I'm sure if my mother had been in the audience with me she would have smacked that boy Eric upside the head! But I digress .... During 100 years, both Dennis and Eric went down on their knees in front of Stephane during his guitar solo, to worship the guitar god. :-)

Three guitarists - Tommy, Glen and Stephane. Dennis introduced the entire band during the concert - not the usual "Hank, this is Tommy" schtick. He introduced everyone but Stephane (on purpose) inciting the audience to yell "Stephaaaaane!!!". He did the introduction after that. My guess is that this was for the benefit of DEP. He did thank DEP for bringing him to Canada all those years ago.

For those of you who pay attention to equipment, Tommy D. had a different guitar. He either had a new guitar or he chose his 12 string for that night. I wasn't close enough to see if it was.

Every song went without a hitch. Glen sang Edge of the Century and gave us his trademark "derrière" shake. He was all over the place! At one point he was pacing (or stalking) the stage like a caged tiger. Watching him was like watching a tennis match. What a hoot!

The second to last song was SMB of course. The audience went NUTS. Again, like in Ste. Adele, sometimes the audience was singing so loudly that you couldn't hear the music.

One little cool thing is that during Come Sail Away, at her father's signal, Carrie Ann did a walk-by backup sing with her father and mother for about 1 minute and exited the other side. I tried to take a pic, but it turned out very blurry so I didn't post it.

Let's see, what else. Oh, Dennis' voice was spot on, as usual. Because of the cameras, everyone was smiling a lot more, which was nice. Dennis was very much all over the place but I did find he seemed a bit tired. I asked Markir if he had noticed that and he had, so it wasn't just my imagination. But the show was A-1 regardless!!

If I've forgotten anything, I'll add it in.

Edited by mtlfan

Thanks, Markir and Amanda! Great pictures and videos. Nice review.

Very interesting about how this concert was conducted. Really does seem like maybe they were going to film this for a DVD release. I sure hope so.

If Dennis was tired, understandably so! The pace he is keeping is a monster for a young person, much less someone his age! Trust me! I know from this!! :P

(Everyone tends to forget that between many of these public concerts, there are private shows as well. He also just did the big Dreesen charity golf tournament gala show on the Tuesday before this concert, I believe. ) Whew!!

Thanks again. You guys rawk!

>Thanks, Markir and Amanda! Great pictures and videos. Nice review.

Anytime.

>Very interesting about how this concert was conducted. Really does seem like maybe they were going to film this for a DVD release. I sure hope so.

Same here. It just seems that all the indications are lined up that way. We'll just have to wait and see ....

>If Dennis was tired, understandably so! The pace he is keeping is a monster for a young person, much less someone his age! Trust me! I know from this!! :P

LOL! If Dennis can do it, so can you. :-) I'm pretty sure not much can stop a hardy Texas flower such as yourself. :-)

>(Everyone tends to forget that between many of these public concerts, there are private shows as well. He also just did the big Dreesen charity golf tournament gala show on the Tuesday before this concert, I believe. ) Whew!!

The travelling must be difficult. And then on top of it, he has to work. Most of us, when we travel, are on vacation and at least get to sit and have a cup of tea before continuing.

At least he had his whole family with him this weekend. :-)

>Thanks again. You guys rawk!

LOL! I like that. But I'm just a regular 'ol fan, albeit an outgoing one who can type 100 wpm!! :-)

Oh! I just thought of something. I knew that Markir had taken some pictures, so after the show I said to him, "I want to see your shots". Markir, INTENTIONALLY choosing to "misunderstand" me and give me a hard time, comes back with an arched eyebrow and quips, "I beg your pardon???" LOL! I never even saw that one coming!

Markir - 1, MtlLady - 0. It's MY TURN to get him now! :-)

Edited by mtlfan

Okay, let's see what I can remember. If I've forgotten anything, Markir may be able to spare a brain cell or two and fill in what I missed.

We got there at 6:00 p.m. and there were already people waiting at the front of the stage in the "standing only" area. Markir and I only had two people in front of us. There was a fence approx. 6 feet away from the stage, which we found out later was space for the third tv camera, crew, photographers and loads of DEP people. Behind the "standing only" area there was the field and people had set up there with their camp chairs. I'm not very good at estimating how many people there are in a venue, but there were lots more than there were at Ste. Adele, and the age variation was much wider. There were entire families, teenagers but mostly folks our age.

Right after the opening act, the (very efficient I might add) DDY crew swooped in and began to ready the stage. Matthew was the first one on the stage carrying heavy lighting equipment. The lighting was a bit different than usual for this concert, but perfect as usual.

It didn't take long for DDY to come onstage after that at approx. 9:30 p.m. It soon became apparent to me that this wasn't a usual concert. It was much more "efficient" and not as relaxed. Everyone was ready to go, there were none of Dennis' usual jokes, and as soon as one song was done, the next was introduced and off they'd go. That being said, Dennis was introducing his songs in french and most of what he said that night was in french. (Okay, he was having problems with his prepositions, but as long as you try, the Quebec folk are happy!) He did quip in Quebecois (including the swear word any everything - this was after having conferred with Stephane Dufour for about 15 seconds) that it was cold that evening (and it was) and that we'd heat up the place in no time!

The setlist was the same as usual, he played three songs from his new CD, Save Me, This Time Next Year and, of course, 100 Years from Now with Eric LaPointe. I'm sure if my mother had been in the audience with me she would have smacked that boy Eric upside the head! But I digress .... During 100 years, both Dennis and Eric went down on their knees in front of Stephane during his guitar solo, to worship the guitar god. :-)

Three guitarists - Tommy, Glen and Stephane. Dennis introduced the entire band during the concert - not the usual "Hank, this is Tommy" schtick. He introduced everyone but Stephane (on purpose) inciting the audience to yell "Stephaaaaane!!!". He did the introduction after that. My guess is that this was for the benefit of DEP. He did thank DEP for bringing him to Canada all those years ago.

For those of you who pay attention to equipment, Tommy D. had a different guitar. He either had a new guitar or he chose his 12 string for that night. I wasn't close enough to see if it was.

Every song went without a hitch. Glen sang Edge of the Century and gave us his trademark "derrière" shake. He was all over the place! At one point he was pacing (or stalking) the stage like a caged tiger. Watching him was like watching a tennis match. What a hoot!

The second to last song was SMB of course. The audience went NUTS. Again, like in Ste. Adele, sometimes the audience was singing so loudly that you couldn't hear the music.

One little cool thing is that during Come Sail Away, at her father's signal, Carrie Ann did a walk-by backup sing with her father and mother for about 1 minute and exited the other side. I tried to take a pic, but it turned out very blurry so I didn't post it.

Let's see, what else. Oh, Dennis' voice was spot on, as usual. Because of the cameras, everyone was smiling a lot more, which was nice. Dennis was very much all over the place but I did find he seemed a bit tired. I asked Markir if he had noticed that and he had, so it wasn't just my imagination. But the show was A-1 regardless!!

If I've forgotten anything, I'll add it in.

hey amanda,

i'm happy to see that you enjoyed; i almost made it but--- if you would have called me, i would have been tempted ! that being said, how was the mood in the crowd ! how big was the crowd? ? since this is a fairly big festival, i'm imagining a bigger crowd than at the ste-adele show; how were the responses to the new songs? anyway, nice to hear you had a good time !!!