DDY Talk
mtlfan

Montreal/St. Adele Show June 23rd

I know, I know, I haven't posted yet. Some of you are asking!!

It's still a holiday here in Quebec today, so I've been holidaying. :-) I need to finish putting up the pics of the concert (a few are already up) and I'll be back. Hold this spot for me Ron! :-)

Okay, I'm back.

Well.

What can I say about the show?

IT ROCKED!!!!

I've got pictures up in my album in the gallery for anyone interested.

Still here?

Okay, good. First of all, I'd like to say that for me, the concert was made better by getting to meet up with "Markir" from this very board! There's a picture of us in my gallery. He's a true DDY fan, we both sang our way through the entire concert! And he walked me back to my car after the concert like the gentleman he is, thanks again, friend. :-) (For those of you who have seen the pic of us and think that I am a turncoat for wearing my April Wine ballcap, what you can't see is that I'm wearing my black "Dennis DeYoung and the Music of Styx" tank under my gray top! So there!).

Markir and I were basically in front of center stage, about three people back from the front. He was to my right. I had another DDY fan that I had met at the show at PDA in March to my left and we had a blast!

April Wine opened the show and they were fantastic! These guys have been around forever and they still ROCK! April Wine was the first band I had seen in concert - in the Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, hockey arena when I was 14! (Their lead singer is from Nova Scotia, donchaknow!) Same guys, except for the bassist. I totally enjoyed their 90 minute show. I even saw Tommy on the sidelines checking out the competition. :-) Their lead guitarist has more guitars than I have pairs of earrings. And that's saying a lot!!

DDY was onstage from 9:00 p.m. to approx. 11:30-11:45. His voice was SPOT ON. The surprise of the night was that Stephane Dufour was there, I would have expected him to be with LaPointe on such an important holiday weekend, but he wasn't. So that made THREE guitars, Glen, Tommy and Stephane. It made for some mixups, because everyone's just getting used to each other, but what a SOUND!! I don't know exactly how many people were there, but were we ever LOUD. The place was packed. There were parts of songs where the audience was singing along so loudly that you couldn't hear DDY. And this is with at least 8 feet of speakers on each side of the stage, plus extra amps.

Glen only got to sing one song, Edge of the Century. I think he may get to sing more in the US, but where DDY sang "This Time Next Year", "Save Me", and "100 Years from Now" with Star Academie's Marc-André, that probably took all of Glen's singing slots. Shame, but you can't have everything. I was impressed with Glen. He gave the audience a derrière shake that I won't forget for a LONG time!!

DDY also delivered a couple of his jokes in French, as I heard he did in Quebec City, and used the local vernacular for "a**h***". Someone's been teaching our boy bad words!!!!

I will say that DDY looked tired by the end of the show. He did do a lot of running from one end of the stage to the other. I think those pesky Canadians are wearing him out. (Oh, waitaminute, that would be us!)

Anyway, if I can think of anything else, I'll add it in later!

Edited by mtlfan

Hey, thanks, Amanda! There was one person who posted on that "other board", LOL, that the crowd could have been upwards of 5000 or so? That sounds mighty nice, even it if was less.

Sounds like they really fed off the enthusiasm of the audience, no question.

When everyone gets into the music and does so REAL LOUD, well, Dennis and the band return in kind.

Nice photos except.........uh........what's up with that BELT? I think I had one of those in the 70's. The outfit looked amazingly cool except.....the WHITE belt. Oh well, as Dennis says on the new CD, "How the hell I get this age??!!"

What fun you all had!

Canada is just the best host to that Chicago boy. He has come full circle there.

Hey, thanks, Amanda! There was one person who posted on that "other board", LOL, that the crowd could have been upwards of 5000 or so? That sounds mighty nice, even it if was less.

Sounds like they really fed off the enthusiasm of the audience, no question.

When everyone gets into the music and does so REAL LOUD, well, Dennis and the band return in kind.

Nice photos except.........uh........what's up with that BELT? I think I had one of those in the 70's. The outfit looked amazingly cool except.....the WHITE belt. Oh well, as Dennis says on the new CD, "How the hell I get this age??!!"

What fun you all had!

Canada is just the best host to that Chicago boy. He has come full circle there.

I'm really lousy at figuring out how many people there are in a crowd, but I would not say 5,000. 4,000 would be more like it.

Yeah, the belt. I figured he was wearing it to make himself more visible up on the stage. You'd see this white belt flying back and forth across the stage. :-)

I'm glad you liked the photos though. I think I've figured out how to properly use the darned camera. :-)

And oh yeah, we were LOUD.

There was also so much, uh, smoke, in the audience that I'm surprised I didn't come home stoned! My voice was pretty rough the next day. :-)

Edited by mtlfan

Well hello everyone. It's been a few days now since the show and I thought now would be a good time to post something. First off I would like to thank mtlfan (Amanda) for the kind words and more importantly for being there to share the experience with me. I truly had one hell of a time. It was nice to be able to enjoy the show with another true DDY fan. It made the experience all that more enjoyable. I have seen DDY solo and with STYX countless times, mostly in arena venues but 3 were outdoor shows. The first outdoor show was back in 1977 and the second one was in 1996 but I would have to say that Saturday nights show was the best show that I have ever seen. DDY's voice was in fine form. I think that he actually sounded better that I have ever heard (from what I was able to hear because we all sang out hearts out that at times we could not even hear him). The night seemed to go by way too fast but it seems that way everytime I am at one of his shows. He played 3 songs from his new CD. Of course 100 Years From Now, Save Me and This Time Next Year. I was a little disappointed that he did not do Crossing The Rubicon as that is my favorite song on the CD but you can't have it all. I am not much of a music critic so I do not know what else to say except that the show, from DDY's performance to the boys in the band rockin in fine form, to Glen's appearance and Quebecer Stephane Dufour, and more importantly to be able to share the experience with another true DDY fan made it the all time best show that I have ever seen. It was like being in a magical high that makes you feel great but not long after all is said and done you feel like someone has let all the air out. At least there will always be the memories and for me a new friendship that I hope will last a very long time.

Our memories of Saturday will last a lifetime

We'll take the best, forget the rest

And someday well find these were the best of times

These were the best of times

I heard that this wasn't a "Lost Treasures" show, but rather a "New CD Release".

The DDY fans should be pleased.

The Glen Burtnik fans got the "shaft".

I heard that this wasn't a "Lost Treasures" show, but rather a "New CD Release".

The DDY fans should be pleased.

The Glen Burtnik fans got the "shaft".

How many people went to the show to see Glen? I don't think anyone got the shaft. I don't think this was ever billed as a Lost Treasures show. DDY has a new CD, he will be playing the songs.

How many people went to the show to see Glen? I don't think anyone got the shaft. I don't think this was ever billed as a Lost Treasures show. DDY has a new CD, he will be playing the songs.

Here we are again with BLT getting his facts distorted:

This show was advertised as, and tickets sold for a "LOST TREASURES SHOW".

It was announced on CHOM repeatedly as a Lost Treasres Show. Dennis' site advertised it as a Lost Treasures show. There was mention of Special Guest GLEN BURTNIK.

You're right, CHOM didn't have it billed as a Lost Treasures show. That having been said, I was a bit disappointed that Glen only sang one song, because the one he did sing was great! I kind of felt sorry for him because he came all the way up here just for that. I hope he had a chance to enjoy himself while he was visiting, at least.

As to Glen. He was certainly aware of the setlist for this show before he participated. He got to perform in front of a very big crowd. He got paid for the gig. What's not to like on his side?

As to the Glen fans, it probably was a disappointment to them in some ways. But if you are going to a DDY show, that is what you are getting. A DDY show.

Luckily I got to see Dennis and Glen where they did several songs together and Glen performed a couple on his own.

I might add that one nice thing about DDY is the variety of shows he does, even in a single format (Orchestra, Lost Treasures, with Glen, without Glen). Seeing him more than one time might get you, other than the core hits, a different show each time.

My .02 on this.