DDY Talk
gatfan

Quebec City shows June 15th & 16th 2007

Hi everyone!

Back from those two wonderful shows this weekend in Quebec City. My god where do I begin... First, both shows were almost identical. The only difference is that on Friday, he didn't sing "This time next year" which he did on Saturday.

The crowd was the best that I've ever seen and believe me I've seen 17 shows since January 2006. They even rocked more than in Montreal which is pretty hard to beat. The orchestra was pretty good except that Arnie Roth (the usual conductor for DDY) wasn't there this weekend. There was a special guest, Stephane Dufour, Eric Lapointe's guitarist and WOW what an addition to the show!! That guy has a lot of charisma, is a great guitar player and really enjoys what he does. He brought the biggest breath of fresh air to that concert especially concerning Tommy Dziallo. Usually Tommy D. is pretty shy and reserved during the shows, but this time, he was on FIRE!! They played an improvised intro to Rockin' the paradise where they were "having there little competition" and Tommy was having fun like crazy smiling from ear to ear. Hank even cut in with his own little base guitar solo.

Dennis was great as usual, his voice perfect on both nights. He sang One hundred years from now with Marc-Andre Fortin which is the guy that's been singing on the symphonic shows here in Quebec since last year in Montreal. It was good but Marc-Andre has almost the same voice as DDY, so the contrast wasn't as good as with Eric Lapointe. I NEVER thought that I would write this because I dislike Lapointe like crazy but I wish he would have been there just for that song.

Everything else was basic DDY without any problems during the shows. So that's about it and just a special little hello to Andree a new friend we made in Quebec who reads but doesn't write on the board. Thank you for your great kindness this weekend!!

Take care everybody.

Jojo

From what I understand 100 Years From Now received standing ovations at both shows, and there were many people singing along, which must mean the song is pretty well-known.

From what I understand 100 Years From Now received standing ovations at both shows, and there were many people singing along, which must mean the song is pretty well-known.

I am sure the CD will be huge in Quebec. Its on the home page of the Archambault.ca e-commerce store and seems to be stocked in most of the Future Shop's (similar to Best Buy) in Quebec. The question is whether the CD will do well in the 9 English speaking provinces. It does not appear to be stocked in any of the Future Shops near where I live in Toronto and you cannot find any local information about the release. My hope is that sales in Quebec lands it on the charts in Canada and from there it takes off accross the country.

Yes the song is getting very popular up here, but not that much in Gatineau where I live because we're to close to Ottawa and most of our radio stations don't play it because it's part in french and they don't play french music like on CHOM in Montreal.

There were 5 standing ovations at each show this weekend, so not only for one undred years one but for a few others as well so you can imagine how popular he is up here...

Jojo

There were 5 standing ovations at each show this weekend, so not only for one undred years one but for a few others as well so you can imagine how popular he is up here...

Jojo

There was only one in Halifax, at the end of the show. When the encore started, everyone sat back down. I had forgotten how polite the Haligonians are at concerts. :-)

There was one again at the end of the encore.

I can't imagine NOT having a standing ovation at a DDY show, can you?

blt, I hope what you say is true. That the album catches on in other parts of Canada and becomes very successful up there. From listening to the clips of each song, there is potential for some of those to be successful singles.

As to down here in the States. I really wonder...... I am hoping if this album sells really well up there, with airplay of more than one single, it will be a springboard for promoting it here.

I would guess this is part of their thinking for releasing the CD much later (probably fall) here in the US.

There is a built-in prejudice against Styx and, by extension, Dennis down here, but if this album is killer enough, then maybe he can put an end to that automatic bias. I really do hope the reviewers simply listen and judge it on its musical merits and leave off all the other negative baggage they tend to bring to their reviews of anything and everything Styx and Dennis.

(Rant OFF :P )

I am thrilled his shows went so well, but Dennis is nothing if not grateful to those who accept him and his music and he loves to give back the love.

There is a built-in prejudice against Styx and, by extension, Dennis down here, but if this album is killer enough, then maybe he can put an end to that automatic bias. I really do hope the reviewers simply listen and judge it on its musical merits and leave off all the other negative baggage they tend to bring to their reviews of anything and everything Styx and Dennis.

The real problem is that aging rockers don't get airplay. Couple that with the fact that Dennis DeYoung is not a well known name - everyone knows Styx (yes, thanks to Mr. Roboto), very few know DeYoung.