DDY Talk
Ron

Boomchild Video

I finally got around to watching the DVD of Dennis' videos. The transfer is excellent, and I have finally seen a clear version of Boomchild. At a time when hair bands were busy putting out videos with scantilly clad females, it probably should have won some awards for best video if it would have had label support by the time it was finally completed.

Some thoughts and questions from someone who isn't a 'Boomchild':

Who are the baseball cards of?

I saw one 45 as "La Bamba" could anyone make the others out?

Movie and TV scenes?

(Creature from the Black Lagoon?? His mouth is sync'd with the music as well--2nd chorus)

View Master reel shown before Woody Woodpecker is "Era of the Space Shuttle"

Was that Suzanne & Dawn in the convertible (1st verse)

3rd chorus--all of Dennis' childhood pictures (including one with Santa)

Other notes:

Tommy looks good in the DWFH video

I finally saw that the sign in Desert Moon says "THE Desert Moon", but what is it supposed to be? a motel?

Get out your DVD's and remotes with pause buttons and frame steppers:

How about a list of all of the different 'Boomchild' items found in the Boomchild video (like Howdy Doody and the thing you use to beat the dust out of a rug)

Ron

I will look at it again, Ron. There was SO much in that video to see. Many things I could relate to being a "boomchild" myself.

I remember when it first came on VH1 Classic, I watched it a lot, but haven't in awhile.

I agree that the video quality for the Dennis 20th Century Masters is really so much better than for the Styx one.

I will get back on this one. It might be fun!

Holy Cow! What a terrible fan I am! I completely forgot the dvd was available! I checked the local stores right after the release date, but somehow managed to forget about it! DUH! Gonna have to hunt this one down pronto!

Terri

Dear Ron,

YOU ASKED FOR IT!!

I have looked at Boomchild a "couple" of times. :P Ok, a few freeze frames, too. There are certainly WORSE ways to wile away some time!!

Two immediate icons come to mind – the Enola Gay and the dopping of the bomb. 1946 was the first year of the Baby Boom generation.

The airstream trailer. Our newly mobile society.

I saw floating some of the following: blue suede shoes, either an 8mm projector or an 8 track, could not make out the 45’s, but I know one was The Beatles (DUH!), the ubiquitous aluminum cup (WHO did not have a set of these in their homes in the 50’s? Don’t answer! I know some of you were not born yet!), Electrolux vacuum and later an upright, old fashioned hair dryer, dial phone, wooden Philco radio, record player, rabbit ear antenna, toaster, steam kettle, WAFFLE IRON (We had that EXACT one!!!). Several types of televisions, too. One looked a lot like our first one.

Through the Viewmaster he watched Chubby Checker and a Go-Go dancer, The Beaver and Doris Day, Elvis and Ike Eisenhower. ALL a part of my, and his, growing up.

The two baseball cards were Mickey Mantle and I think Hank Aaron.

The guns were the Oswald rifle and the Jack Ruby revolver (or maybe the pistol that killed RFK) -- guessing here. Both King and JFK were killed by rifles.

Second Viewmaster had Khrushchev (the "We will bury you!" speech at the UN, I believe) and Mr. Wizard among the images. Loved the voice synch with them as well as The Creature from the Black Lagoon and Woody Woodpecker.

Other floating objects – Mixmaster, slinky, jet airplanes, astronauts, Ringo’s drumset, Einstein picture.

The painting he “lands” into is of a type that was, seemingly, EVERYwhere in the 40’s and 50’s. Sort of a Greek setting. My grandparents had a large one in their house. I just like how the background color makes Dennis’ eyes look aquamarine…..but I digress.

The last group of Viewmaster pictures were family photos, as you mentioned, Ron., mixed in with ads from the 50’s and 60’s. The boomchildren were the first generation to really have so many appliances that simplified (or complicated?) life in the home.

And, of course, he "flies" off in a Corvette. Leave it to that guy to have the coolest cars in his videos!!!

One comment: Though he sings about Bandstand and Mickey Mouse, I did not see any of those images represented. Could have missed them, though.

What I find so amazing that I share with my fellow baby boomer is the touchstones of our lives were so similar. This song has always appealed to me for that very reason.

I bet you were not expecting a dissertation, huh, Ron? :blink:

(Disclaimer : This post is subject to edit if I recognize anything else in the video!! :biggrin: )

Gee Kathy no edit (at least not yet) :))

Actually that was exactly what I was looking for. Since I would be considered more of a 'Gen X' era than a 'Boomer', there were some things that I was not able to connect, mainly because of my ignorance of an era that I did not experience, although some items (like the cymbal-playing monkey) I did recognize.

Ron

Gee Kathy no edit (at least not yet) :))

Actually that was exactly what I was looking for. Since I would be considered more of a 'Gen X' era than a 'Boomer', there were some things that I was not able to connect, mainly because of my ignorance of an era that I did not experience, although some items (like the cymbal-playing monkey) I did recognize.

Ron

I am the tail end of boomers myself. I need to go watch that video again as I do recognize some of the items. It's a great history lesson.

Liz

I, too, offer my thanks to Kathy! I figured the stuff/pix all represented something to the boomers, but I didn't have much of a clue what!

Terri

Speaking of Boomchild...(8 years ago) :ph34r: What the heck does "Shum bop away" mean anyways?

NJB

Speaking of Boomchild...(8 years ago) :ph34r: What the heck does "Shum bop away" mean anyways?

NJB

I think it's a reference to doo-wop music, which was popular when Dennis was growing up. Doo-wop incorporates a lot of nonsense syllables that can often repeat during a song. The beginning of the song Blue Moon is a good example of doo-wop "phrasing". You'll also hear things like "sh boom" and "sha na na" (with varying amounts of na's after the initial sha sound) in doo-wop songs. In Boomchild, I see it as a tribute to that musical genre and therefore not meant to mean anything specific.