DDY Talk
Boomchild

It's Been a Long Time!

Hello Ron and long time no see!  Was wondering what was going to become of the site. I've missed the forum here.  I was participating in another online forum but it was a different experience then here. Mostly every topic would descend into people bickering back and forth. Also have been chatting with folks on a FB group for DDY\Styx fans. Nice to see the site up and working again. Hope that it will garner some new discussions from us fans.

I bet I know what forum you were at :D

I am really hoping that things can stay positive here, as it pretty much did in the past. By focusing just on what Dennis is doing, there are plenty of good things going on that there is no room for negativity. (Plus I think I have it in the term and conditions that by design this site is one-sided, and if your viewpoints are the complete opposite and you come to troll you will be promptly removed.) Dennis has a pretty heavy schedule this summer, touring with two different sets, plus a couple of symphony shows. Then there is the song from Jim Peterik's album, and Dennis' album-in-the-works.

Mark's "Styxtoury" pages on Facebook are good too. He presents all information from all musicians involved with Styx at one point or another and focuses on the music created.

Hey guys! Took me a while to get around to opening the email, but glad I did! haha

Ron any thoughts on archiving DDY's FB posts here for discussion posts? The comments are usually filled with 'hey i saw you in xxx at xxx' and kinda pointless to look at. 

I'm a little hesitant on any kind of copying content directly, even if for an archival purpose. I don't want to "steal" the content, but maybe could share the link to his post and have it as a discussion starter. I'm sure it's important to Dennis to have the views on his page and the number of likes increasing, and if I copy that material he could lose those numbers, which I would want to support.

I do a similar thing with articles that I find interesting. I will post a link, but not the content of the article so I don't get the content provider upset.

To trace back to the roots of DDY Talk, it was created at a time when Dennis didn't even have an active website. His older website, GrandIllusionMusic.com, had been "on hiatus" for quite some time, and the only other solely DDY website was the Don't Wait for Heroes website, that hadn't had any new content for quite some time. This is a huge contrast to now, where he has a Facebook presence, and has even done podcasts. I don't want to seem like I'm stealing his content.

I agree that Facebook comments stink. "When are you coming to (insert town name here)?" over and over. I think there is a place for discussion.

That's very true. I hadn't thought of that. If you don't mind, I can start a new post with his latest FB post and see what kind of discussion it generates? 

He's stopped making Podcasts, right? I had been downloading them for my own archive, but haven't seen a new one in quite a while. 

You can post whatever you want! That's what the site is here for.

I'm pretty sure the podcasts are done, as it's been about a year and a half since the last one. Since there are a lot of different ways podcasts are handled (either through another company that pays the author of the podcast, or done independently by the author) it may or may not start up again in the future. I would like to archive them here, but not until they are no longer available anywhere else. (It's interesting that it is not available in iTunes for the United States)