DDY Talk
jtlehman

Concert postponed....and my thoughts

So as the new year hit - I was getting more and more excited to get to see DDY and his band live in Texas.  I was even on the "binge" routine of watching the DVD, listening to the CD this week leading up to tonight's concert.  Then, yesterday evening, the email came.  The concert had been postponed due to illness.  A range of emotions hit.  First, my wife had not gone an annual "weekend" with her friends this year because it was this weekend.  I felt bad she had cancelled her plans just to attend the concert with me, only to have this happen.  Next, was (I must confess) a little bit of anger.  My excitement turned to true disappointment.

Then I had time to sit back and reflect realistically at it.  No one ever asks to get sick, and especially the flu.  I know how hard it is for me to do MY job when I'm not feeling well, and I'm not the focal point of an audience of thousands watching my every word.  So, my anger quickly turned to empathy.   Next, I thought about knowing how much of a perfectionist DDY is in presenting his music.  NO WAY he would want to present his material unless it was at its best.  For that I really respect the decision to post-pone the concert.  I am critical of performances that I pay to see, and as much of a fan as I am of DDY - had it been bad, I would have said so.  This is going to be my very first concert of his not in Styx - so I'm willing to wait for perfection!

So in any case - I'll have to wait until April to see the concert - so tune in then for the concert review.....

Cheers,

Jay

It is disappointing when this type of thing happens. But as you said you would rather see DDY doinf his thing at 100%. Nothings worse then seeing an artist struggle through a performance just because he\she is obligated to. On a side note, I read somewhere online that Tom Sharpe was going to be absent from the band for a while. Not sure if this is true or if it releated to these postponed shows.

I assume that his illness stems from when he was sick in December and had to cancel several of the Quebec City shows. Unfortunately there has been no official word on his progress. No news is good news?

Ken where did you hear this about Tom?

I assume that his illness stems from when he was sick in December and had to cancel several of the Quebec City shows. Unfortunately there has been no official word on his progress. No news is good news?

Ken where did you hear this about Tom?

I think it was in a comment posted by someone on DDY's Facebook page. A Facebook user that is and not DDY.

I remember reading a post that Tom was doing a lot of winter gigs with Mannheim Steamroller - that one wasn't too specific on how long that would be going on.  If I were to GUESS, it was for the holiday season, when MS is normally their busiest. 

Show's how little I know - from Tom Sharpe's FB page:  

Hello Friends! Many of you have been asking where I will be this year, and some of you are already aware that 2015 has brought a change.

The time has come for me to move on from Dennis DeYoung and the music of Styx. I know at times in order for new doors to open, old ones need to close.

I will of course still be with my band mates in Mannheim Steamroller. I will also be performing my own music live in support of Lifting the World, and I look forward to other opportunities as well. I’m so excited to reach for what is next, and to perform new music.

My goal is always to motivate, inspire, lead by example, and be a positive role model - to help others achieve their goals, and show that anything is possible. Stay with me on this journey, and we’ll continue to do it together!

As always, thank you so much for your support and kind words! I’m just getting started, friends. The best is yet to come.

Blessings,

Tom

Well that seems to clarify the what is happening. This is a shame. Hopefully Dennis will be able to find a replacement that is as good as Tom was.

From what I understand Dennis will be using who was filling in for Tom at the Quebec City shows

From what I understand Dennis will be using who was filling in for Tom at the Quebec City shows

Wonder if this is just a short term solution while he seeks out a permanent replacement?  Since I didn't see anything from those shows, I have no idea what the guy filling in is like.

Edited by Boomchild