DDY Talk
jtlehman

New Dennis Note on 100 Years From Now Dec. 1, 2014

Below is a note Dennis posted to Facebook yesterday.  It was worth the read for sure.

Hey everybody,

Well today I am on my way to Canada to begin our month long run at Le Capitole in Quebec City. No Anglo musician has ever done this many shows before and I feel honored and fortunate to have this opportunity. Merci beaucoup to everyone in Quebec preparing for the show. I began listening to the100 Years From Now CD to refresh my memory of the French lyrics and to go over This Time Next Year. Driving in my car and singing along I let the whole CD play start to finish, something I haven't done in quite some time. Wow is all I can say. This is by far and away my finest solo effort of original material and it reminded me of how much I loved some of these songs. The lyrics alone are worth the ride if you are interested in knowing me as a person. I get very emotional listening to Rubicon because it is as good a song as I have ever written in that classic prog rock style, I put it right behind Madame Blue. This album represents for me a return to the Styx of Equinox through Pieces of Eight period; one I personally played a large part in. Of all the members I was the one most rooted in Progressive rock primarily due to my interest in Emerson, Lake and Palmer and Yes. The keyboard playing was the key. It put keyboards on an equal footing with guitars, I should say nearly because the guitar is truly the instrument of Rock an Roll. The classical music influences in this genre appealed to me for they were something I had studied and played on accordion (yes there is more to accordion then polkas) so there was familiarity unlike my near zero knowledge of the Blues, upon which Rock n Roll is based. So on Rubicon, 100 Years, Rain, This TIme Next Year, Private Jones and CNN I posit that these tracks would be quite at home on those albums for 1975 thru 1978. If you have never listened to this album it would be worth your while. I actually found myself at amazon reading the customer reviews which were quite flattering. I love this CD and it reminds me of the task of trying to equal or surpass it...yikes. Once again check this album out ,you will not be disappointed.

I was going to send a link to YouTube for Rubicon but whoever put it up has taken it down. If anyone knows how to upload to YouTube a good copy please do I will appreciate it.

Anyway Le Capitole has added 3 more shows to the original ten and want two more. At this rate I will have to apply for dual citizenship, learn more French and start eating poutine.

cheers dennis

The way that he is embraced in Quebec is simply amazing. He would not be able to sell out 15 dates in one venue anywhere in the States. Not even Chicago, or other fan-heavy locations (New York City/New Jersey Philly metro area has a very strong Styx fan base. Florida does, too).

I think his comments about "100 Years from Now" are quite valid. As a collective piece or work, that album, out of the four solo rock albums, is the strongest on its own.

It actually prompted me to listen to the album start to finish (both the US release and the Canadian release) back to back.  It has some really good song on it for sure!  As a single presentation - it does rank right up there with the Styx albums he mentions in his post!

Part of me is really hoping that for his next album he goes a different direction. I almost feel like if he again tries to go back to a more progressive/styx style its going to draw comparisons to this album, and increase the chance for disappointment from fans if it doesnt live up to standards he set by 100 years. 

I would agree that it is his strongest solo release to date. Rubicon is one of my favs off that album. Speaking about the two versions of this release, does anyone feel one is better then the other?  It is interesting that DDY went and changed it in between the releases. If he does decide to make another ablum, I would not mind him doing it in the "Styx style". I believe he could pull it off without it seeming like a weaker attempt then OYFN.

I would like to see him do another album in the style of Styx too, and with his band lineup the way it is, it could be really good.

As for which is better? I think there are a few differences other than the title song being a duet in the Candian version and not in the US release. Also, there is that one song on the Candian release was traded for two on the US release. Those are Respect Me on the Can. release vs. Private Jones and There was a Time on the American. The last one is the order of the songs on them.

Candian release:

1. One hundred Years from Now

2. This Time Next Year

3. Rain

4. Save Me

5. Breathe Again

6. Crossing the Rubicon

7. Respect me

8. I Believe in You

9. Forgiveness

10. I Don't Believe in Anything

11. Turn of CNN

US release:

1. One Hundred Years from Now

2. This Time Next Year

3. Rain

4. Crossing the Rubicon

5. Save Me

6. I Don't Believe in Anything

7. Private Jones

8. I Believe in You.

9. There was a time

10. Breathe Again

11. Forgiveness

12. Turn Off CNN

Private Jones is incredible and a great rocking song. I don't know if i've every listened to There was a Time but once or twice and since I live in America, I haven't had a chance to hear Respect Me yet.

Edited by Mr.Roboto571985

I would like to see him do another album in the style of Styx too, and with his band lineup the way it is, it could be really good.

As for which is better? I think there are a few differences other than the title song being a duet in the Candian version and not in the US release. Also, there is that one song on the Candian release was traded for two on the US release. Those are Respect Me on the Can. release vs. Private Jones and There was a Time on the American. The last one is the order of the songs on them.

Candian release:

1. One hundred Years from Now

2. This Time Next Year

3. Rain

4. Save Me

5. Breathe Again

6. Crossing the Rubicon

7. Respect me

8. I Believe in You

9. Forgiveness

10. I Don't Believe in Anything

11. Turn of CNN

US release:

1. One Hundred Years from Now

2. This Time Next Year

3. Rain

4. Crossing the Rubicon

5. Save Me

6. I Don't Believe in Anything

7. Private Jones

8. I Believe in You.

9. There was a time

10. Breathe Again

11. Forgiveness

12. Turn Off CNN

Private Jones is incredible and a great rocking song. I don't know if i've every listened to There was a Time but once or twice and since I live in America, I haven't had a chance to hear Respect Me yet.

it's intersting that he left Respect Me off the U.S. relaease instead of just leaving it on there with the other songs added.