DDY Talk
Ron

...Live from Los Angeles Review: More of the same? No way.

Here is where I put the visual on hold and move over to the CD - there is one song not part of the visual, but part of the audio that deserves its due - and that is Rockin' the Paradise.  Dennis and his band tear this song up - in what is quite possibly the best live version of this song ever!

Which is probably why certain people did not give their permission for the video of this song.

Which is probably why certain people did not give their permission for the video of this song.

This is certainly an intersting situation. I doubt we will ever know exactly what the situation was. It seems to me that there could be several reasons this occurred.  I wonder if the publisher wanted more money for the rights to use it then DDY was willing to pay.  After all, people can listen to the performace on the CD, so it's mot like they were able to prevent DDY from putting out a receording of their performace of the song.

The publishing rights belong to three people. Only a "no" from one of those three people prevented the video for that song to be released. Video and audio rights are different, so the publisher would have had to view the video, then grant (or not grant) permission. Audio rights are covered through ASCAP and do not require such stringent procedures. So one of those three people did not want the video for that song released. Those three people are: Dennis DeYoung, Tommy Shaw, and James Young.

Who exactly said no is unclear. JY approved Lorelei, and Tommy approved all of his songs. Dennis I feel took many steps to make sure there would be no issues with the approval process (No "Sing for the Day" in the middle of "Fooling Yourself"; "The End" dropped from the end of "Best of Times/AD 1958").

The publishing rights belong to three people. Only a "no" from one of those three people prevented the video for that song to be released. Video and audio rights are different, so the publisher would have had to view the video, then grant (or not grant) permission. Audio rights are covered through ASCAP and do not require such stringent procedures. So one of those three people did not want the video for that song released. Those three people are: Dennis DeYoung, Tommy Shaw, and James Young.

Who exactly said no is unclear. JY approved Lorelei, and Tommy approved all of his songs. Dennis I feel took many steps to make sure there would be no issues with the approval process (No "Sing for the Day" in the middle of "Fooling Yourself"; "The End" dropped from the end of "Best of Times/AD 1958").

Correct me if I'm wrong, I had the undrstanding that the publishing company represents the artist(s) and the artist(s) don't always get directly involved. So could it be possible this did not come directly form TS or JY?

That used to be the case. But artists make crap from the recorded product, and composers don't make that much from the recording, either. They learned the real money was in publishing. So composers form their own publishing companies to make their money. This also gives them 100% of the control of their product. When someone wants to use one of Dennis' songs in a commerical/movie/tv show, etc. He has to give his okay. He has a company handle it, but the decision (and probably pricing) comes down to his yea or nea.

The final decision not to give permission for that one song comes down to two people. One, or both, said no. Even if they were advised by their management, they had the final say.

That used to be the case. But artists make crap from the recorded product, and composers don't make that much from the recording, either. They learned the real money was in publishing. So composers form their own publishing companies to make their money. This also gives them 100% of the control of their product. When someone wants to use one of Dennis' songs in a commerical/movie/tv show, etc. He has to give his okay. He has a company handle it, but the decision (and probably pricing) comes down to his yea or nea.

The final decision not to give permission for that one song comes down to two people. One, or both, said no. Even if they were advised by their management, they had the final say.

Well if that is the case, it's a two way street. Meaning, the next time TS and JY have to come to DDY for a similar request , maybe DDY won't be so quick to grant permission. For example let's say that they want to sync CSA. This situation is just so petty. Especially, at this stage.

Edited by Boomchild

With Lorelei, Dennis has co-writing credts correct? So would that maybe affect the licensing for that song in regards to possibly not needing JY's approval? 

That being said i doubt JY or Tommy would deny rights, it wouldn't help them in any way, and by giving the rights are going to be earning some compensation. 

With Lorelei, Dennis has co-writing credts correct? So would that maybe affect the licensing for that song in regards to possibly not needing JY's approval? 

That being said i doubt JY or Tommy would deny rights, it wouldn't help them in any way, and by giving the rights are going to be earning some compensation. 

When it comes to this type of thing, all writers involved in the material have to agree.  So it was either TS, JY or both that would not approve it.  As to why, it is anyone's guess. Personally, I can not see where it was going to give DDY some kind of advantage over the current Styx. It seems to me they will always have the major advantage over DDY simply because they own the Styx name. Some may say it is because DDY's perofrmance comes off better then the current Styx'. If that is the reason, then I would say that his former band mates are very insecure.

DDY version of Rockin' the Paradise blows any other version of that song away. Currently, the band performing as Styx using RTP as a part of their encore. Could their version be that poor in comparison to the DDY version?

Dennis could deny any video of his songs for any future Styx release, and it is my understanding that there will be one next year. Although they won't admit it publicly, (and questionable if they will even admit it to themselves), Styx needs Dennis far more than Dennis needs them. I admit I like to go a little bit deeper than the hits, but a video release with only two hits on it is not going to sell.

But, I honestly think that he will not "return the favor" by not giving permission for his songs. I think he will. Why? Because he cares about the Styx brand name like he has for his entire career. I think the music is more important than the petty bullshit.