DDY Talk

Hell has frozen over slightly

Mr.Roboto571985

As most of you know, the current version of Styx has made it their mission to avoid anything from Kilroy was Here as possible in their shows. Well that didn't stop them in Columbus, OH, in this video.

For those that use Chrome and can't see it, the video is called

Crystal Ball Performed by STYX at 2013 Ohio State Fair, July 28, 2013

Notice at the very beginning of the video.

It really doesn't change any opinion I have but at least it is one step in a better direction.

I found these comments from Lawrence Gowan quite interesting.

February 2012 (http://swtimes.com/sections/features/styx-stacks-hits.html)

"I would like doing a tour that would pair 'Paradise Theater' with, maybe, 'Crystal Ball,' although you'd be hard pressed to get JY or Tommy to do 'Mr. Roboto,'" he said with a laugh. "I actually like 'Mr. Roboto' and the album it came from, 'Kilroy Was Here.'

"But Styx has to live with the personal baggage they went through in that time of the band's career," added Gowan, referring to the early 1980s feuds between DeYoung and other members of Styx regarding the band's direction. "I like 'Mr. Roboto' because it was so ambitious, and it was a necessary part of the development of the band. 'Mr. Roboto' is a point that brought Styx to where it is today."

I'm probably one of the few people who really really liked this whole album. Sure it was different than previous releases - but it was current for the time. Even the "weaker songs" I would play over and over. Ah well - just my own opinion :-)

The concept behind Kilroy Was Here was very good, and the songs that were recorded weren't as bad as people make them out to be. I thought it could have been a much bigger project--the potential of a double album of songs, an expanded plot and an actual feature film. But with band members disliking the project (among other things) this type of grand production would never be. I don't even think it was considered. But if it would have been, with the necessary funding behind it, I am sure it would have been successful.

Although I doubt it would happen, I think it would be interesting to see a restaged version with the new band.

The concept behind Kilroy Was Here was very good, and the songs that were recorded weren't as bad as people make them out to be. I thought it could have been a much bigger project--the potential of a double album of songs, an expanded plot and an actual feature film. But with band members disliking the project (among other things) this type of grand production would never be. I don't even think it was considered. But if it would have been, with the necessary funding behind it, I am sure it would have been successful.

Although I doubt it would happen, I think it would be interesting to see a restaged version with the new band.

I liked the album even though it was not something that I was expecting from them. I think the thing that hurt it the most was the storyline. It was never really fleshed out or was cut down due to the lack of support by band members.

Here's a little nugget from the glory days of MTV about Kilroy going Broadway...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mr-AKL_R_5E

I like Kilroy a lot, but then I like pretty much anything Dennis writes. I remember he said that his first draft of Kilroy was much more autobiographical than the finished product, and that there was a lot that had to be cut to make it fit on the stage within the confines of a standard concert. He has also publicly expressed regret that he pulled the band into the project when not everyone was on board. But was it the right move at the time? I think so.

To me, it still sounds like Styx with some added New Wave flourishes. The tight, high harmonies are still there, as is the JY/Tommy guitar work.

For Styx to move from a prog sound to something more radio-friendly was a survival move, just has Dennis has said on numerous occasions. A commercial artist must adapt or become extinct. Conform to what people like at any given time or be pushed aside and forgotten. That's why grunge never appealed to me: Why try to be as un-conventional and non-mainstream as possible on purpose? I couldn't get my head around that. Then I realized that "grunge" was kinda like disco, in that it was a trend or fad and Nirvana, Pearl Jam and company were being sold to the kids in just as calculating a manner as the Bee Gees and KC & the Sunshine Band had been 15 years prior. Then it made sense.

So if Styx were guilty of anything in 1982-83, then it would be taking a chance and doing what The Who and Pink Floyd had done before: Create a story with sound and vision that was a step beyond the normal album/tour concept. People haven't stopped their oooh-ing and aaah-ing over "The Wall" and "Tommy." Kilroy was just a relevant and good, and much of what was depicted has actually come to fruition in the last 30 years.

30 years?? Boy, am I getting old... :o

:)

Edited by bclark71

For Styx to move from a prog sound to something more radio-friendly was a survival move, just has Dennis has said on numerous occasions. A commercial artist must adapt or become extinct. Conform to what people like at any given time or be pushed aside and forgotten

So if Styx were guilty of anything in 1982-83, then it would be taking a chance and doing what The Who and Pink Floyd had done before: Create a story with sound and vision that was a step beyond the normal album/tour concept. People haven't stopped their oooh-ing and aaah-ing over "The Wall" and "Tommy." Kilroy was just a relevant and good, and much of what was depicted has actually come to fruition in the last 30 years.

The hardest thing for any artist to do is to adapt to the changes in current music, yet not change too much to alienate your core fans. Very few bands have been successful in doing this.

A movie was the next logical choice. When Kilroy was first discussed, MTV was still a few years away. The potential was there for a successful project.

...and to see a movie about a cable network that took censorship to the extreme (much like Dr. Righteous) be sure to see Arnold Schwarzenegger in The Running Man. I think it has more in common with the Kilroy plot than the Stephen King book that it gets its name from.

• Like 1

Ron,

The Running Man is brilliant, and also features one of my favorite game show hosts, Richard Dawson. :)

What you pointed out about Kilroy being discussed prior to MTV only underscores how correct Dennis was at the time in saying that Styx needed to take another step forward, even without the MTV venue being on the table at that point in time.

The hardest thing for any artist to do is to adapt to the changes in current music, yet not change too much to alienate your core fans. Very few bands have been successful in doing this.
A movie was the next logical choice. When Kilroy was first discussed, MTV was still a few years away. The potential was there for a successful project.

...and to see a movie about a cable network that took censorship to the extreme (much like Dr. Righteous) be sure to see Arnold Schwarzenegger in The Running Man. I think it has more in common with the Kilroy plot than the Stephen King book that it gets its name from.