DDY Talk

Is this strange?

Mr.Roboto571985

I just wonder if anyone else thinks this is strange or weird. It's pretty obvious that I am a fan of Dennis' work in Styx as well as some post-Styx...both times. Come Sail Away was the first Styx song I had ever heard. But I still like Styx too, but I tend to like the concerts where they DON'T play very many Dennis songs, like CYO, where they only played Lorelei and a couple of snippets of some DDY songs in the Medley. I know this is not likely too happen, but if they were to do more like that and come out with new material (which is what started this conversation on the Styx Facebook page), then I would be much more friendly to the idea of Dennis not being in Styx and would proudly support both.

I loved the Styx version of Gowan's A Criminal Mind, especially in the CYO show (for those that wonder that is the kid orchestra and chorus in Cleveland, OH. Styx played with them in 2006) and a couple of songs that he did on Cyclorama were pretty good, like Fields of the Brave and More Love for the Money.

Well, for me I have not supported the current version of Styx. For two main reasons. Firstly, they way they handled wanting to move forward without Dennis. Secondly, it was the diversty in the styles of music Styx did that attracted me too them. Since they have chosen to ignore a large amount of songs that were Dennis' contributions, I feel that diversity is gone. It's now a different band, with different players except for TS and JY of course. Anyone that feels it's not is fooling themselves. To me people that did not like what Dennis brought to the band aren't really fans of their music. Since his departure you can feel the void. To the casual fan I am sure none of this matters much. But, I have been a loyal fan for decades and when TS and JY felt it was better to not have DDY on board they lost me as a fan. Some bands can go on and keep the same "vibe" with replacement memebers. I do not feel that Styx is one of them. Due to the simple fact that Dennis' stamp was all over what they did.

Dennis sure made his mark on Styx, that is for sure. But I think it's funny how the mindless puppets who drink the lemon aid Tommy and JY put out at their shows, and on their Facebook page, just completely dismiss that Dennis had the biggest impression on Styx. No, he didn't do it by himself, but the big songs that made them a household name, were Dennis'. In the late 90's when the flood gates opened from Cartman singing Come Sail Away, every song used has been Dennis' with the exception of Blue Collar Man in Adam Sandler's movie Big Daddy, but even there, most are DDY songs. These mindless puppets think it was mainly Tommy and JY who drove the band forward. I'm like really?

If you just take into consideration of the hits that made it to the radio or to comp. albums neither Tommy nor JY have that many hits on them. J.Y. had Miss America and really that's it. Tommy's can be counted on one hand, the rest were Dennis songs.

Speaking of Adam Sandler, is he really that big of a Styx fan or did he just do that for that one movie?

I can’t support post-Dennis “Styx,” because of the way JY and Tommy lied to the fanbase at the beginning of the split (“there’s always an open mic for Dennis…”), and then “erased” him from the band’s history.

When Dennis asks, “Why would Styx not be any good just because I’m not there?” I have to admire both his self-deprecation and his kindness. He’s a better man than I, and he was the one who got burned in all of this.

Dennis has put together a band that to me IS Styx in all but name. I don’t need the negativity from the other guys, and anytime I think of current “Styx” all I get is a negative feeling. I love those songs, all of them, and Dennis and his crew have them covered. That’s all I need.

I think there are some references in another Sandler movie too, but im not sure.

Also, i would be perfectly happy if Gowan just did his solo works with the band, and they left Dennis's work out.

In response to Boomchild, i agree it does have a different vibe (i wasnt alive to see them together, but in general you can feel it) and yeah, their diversity is pretty much gone. Its like a Tommy Shaw solo band.

^

With what you said about Gowan doing his solo work in Styx. There are songs that the current version of Styx has put out that I do like. There were a couple new songs on the CYO show that I thought were very good. They were Just Be and Everything All the Time. The co-written song between Styx and REO Can't Stop Rockin' was good. If they would do that more and would focus on bringing new material out I would like them more than I do. But even if a new album were to come out, this wouldn't change very much if at all.

Sandler is a big Styx fan. For awhile, every movie contained a Styx reference of some sort. I don't know them all for sure, because that would require me to actually watch one of his movies.

A good song is a good song no matter what. Also, if a musician has talent you can't ignore that talent. Criminal Mind is a good song. Tommy and JY and talented musicians. There is nothing wrong with liking that for what it is. Boomchild is correct: The diversity that made Styx what it was (and for the time it was rather unique) is now gone in the current incarnation. And the leaders of the current lineup are quite fine with that, unfortunately. But I can understand the desire to hear something other than the same 15 songs. (I normally don't comment on set lists, because I recognize that while I would like to hear "Don't Wait for Heroes" in concert, the majority of people that go see Dennis would not.)

A person's true personality is reflected in all that they do, eventually. For example, partially because of the antics that Tom Cruise has done in life, I cannot watch a movie with him in it--he takes me right out of the movie. Similarly, I have absolutely no desire to hear or see certain members of the current version of Styx perform at all, because of the comments that they have made publicly.

"Styx is the greatest rock band and only got a bad rap 'cause all critics are cynical assholes." - Julian from Big Daddy

• Like 1