DDY Talk
Mr.Roboto571985

Touring partners

Did anyone happen to notice that on future tour dates, that Dennis will appear with Night Ranger and REO Speedwagon? He really seems to be coming around now. One thing that made me want to post this was from the Styx Facebook page, was that Tommy Shaw has a notion for showing up on some of Night Ranger's shows and perform with them, what an interesting situation it would make that even though they wouldn't be on the stage at the same time, I'm sure on more than one occasion Tommy and Dennis would make eye contact with each other.

That would be a concert I would want to go to, just to see what would happen if these two would be there at the same time.

Of course I know it's not likely that Shaw would show up during this one or two particular shows, but I just think it would be very interesting.

Now obviously I ain't holding my breath for anything to come out of it besides they would be in the same venue at the same time, a first since the CMN show way back in 1999, but at least it would be a start and see what conversations would arise from it.

For those wondering, the dates are:

Friday, May 10, 2013

THEATRE AT WESTBURY, NY - DENNIS DEYOUNG:THE MUSIC OF STYX AND NIGHT RANGER
Westbury, NY

Thursday, July 25, 2013

BELLEVILLE, CANADA - DENNIS DEYOUNG:THE MUSIC OF STYX AND REO AND NIGHT RANGER
Belleville, Ontario
Canada

and

Saturday, July 27, 2013

MATTAWA, ONTARIO - DENNIS DEYOUNG:THE MUSIC OF STYX AND NIGHT RANGER WITH GREAT WHITE
Mattawa, Ontario
Canada

Of course it's all for not if it just happens to be a tribute band for Night Ranger, but I would think that would be listed as well.

Has anyone else seen this, has Dennis toured with other acts before?

Edited by Mr.Roboto571985

Thats an interesting situation... I have a feeling though that he wont show up at concerts where NR is appearing with Dennis... just a hunch...

But if he did... would he come out to perform w/Dennis? ... I would be for that... Even though I'm against Dennis ever getting on stage w/Styx again....

Tommy's best work has been when he collaborated with Dennis and with Jack. Why not get the 3 of them together for an album (Emerson, Lake, and Palmer anyone)?

Edited by Jasedontlie
  • Like 1

This seems to be a good thing. It will give Dennis and his band exposure to a wider audience. Maybe it will lead to him doing more of multi-billed events. It would be interesting to get feedback from people that will go to these concerts that have only seen the current Styx and not Dennis and his band. As far as TS showig up at one of these to play with NR , I agree that most likely TS would avoid it sue to the fact that Dennis would be there as well. But, stranger things have happened. I think that TS and DDY have a better chance of actually talking to each other then JY and DDY.

Wow this really surprises me considering how close Tommy and Jack Blades are. I mean, of all the bands to double up with, Night Ranger and REO?? The only 2 bands that i really feel Styx has a close association with (Cant Stop Rockin and the Shaw/Blades situation).

Im interested to see if any of the Midwest Rock n Roll Express dates are up in Canada around that time, since REO is part of that, and the show is this summer.

This is def news i was not expecting, and these are the two bands i would have least expected to see billed with him (Heck, if given the question if he would be doing a show with Shakira or REO, id pick Shakira)

There is a difference between a packaged tour (where the artist's management make the agreement and then this is promoted and sold to local promoters to hire the concert), and a headliner with an opening act (where a headliner is hired, and then the local promoter adds an opener to help increase ticket sales). Dennis' shows fall into the second category, and he has been both the headliner and the opening act. With the local promoter doing the hiring, the hired headliner has little or no say in who the opening act will be, although I am sure that suggestions are given on request on acts that work good together for strong sales.

Dennis and Night Ranger have performed together on the same bill before. Also, Dennis' son's lighting company has done Night Ranger shows as well. Jeff Watson has performed on stage with Dennis when he first starting doing acoustic shows in 2009.

Dennis has repetitively shown that he cares about making the performance and the music the best possible thing. None of this "I won't work with person X because they like person Y and I have a disagreement with person Y". Remember, Hank Horton was a part of The James Young Group.

Then there is the big thing that really makes things interesting: The A&M lawsuit. Surely the members had to have some sort of discussion leading up to the filing of the lawsuit. Even if it was just lawyers talking between one another, that's more than just JY saying in an interview how he doesn't want a thing to do with Dennis.