DDY Talk
B. Miller

Gowan Interview

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2013/02/14/theres-always-an-ongoing-debate-lawrence-gowan-sticks-up-for-the-current-edition-of-styx/

Though it’s been 15 years since Lawrence Gowan took over as frontman with Styx, he’s aware that arguments continue over how the current version of the group matches up against the Dennis DeYoung-led edition.

Of course, with DeYoung on vocals, Styx boasted a string of Top 10 hits like “Babe,” “Lady,” “Come Sail Away,” “Don’t Let It End,” “Show Me the Way” and “Mr Roboto” between 1975 and 1990. They scored four consecutive multi-platinum albums, as well.

Still, by the late 1990s, DeYoung had split for a solo career, and Styx was casting about for a new singer. Gowan took over and, since then, the group has maintained a nearly non-stop touring schedule — playing more live shows since 1999 than all of the other lineups of Styx combined.

They issued a new song in 2011, but otherwise have only gone into the studio to do new recordings of older hits.

To fill the void, Gowan has said he’s at work preparing his own solo release right now, the first since three years before joining Styx. He had previously overseen a 25th anniversary reissue of his Strange Animal project.

More typically, though, Gowan can be found performing songs once sang by DeYoung, so the comparisons — and the discussion about eras — rages on.
Gowan says he’s aware of them, though that doesn’t impact his enthusiasm for the material. “I’m aware on the Internet there’s always an ongoing debate about which version of Styx is better, this era or the past era?” Gowan tells The Bakersfield Californian. “And it’s a very lively debate. Sometimes I actually look in on it just to take a look at what people are saying. It’s amazing how polarized they can be. But, of course, that’s the nature of Internet discussion, so to speak. But that’s the only insight I have to it. I (only) just saw tens of thousands of people on their feet at the end of every week and they seemed to be loving the band.”

Im going to ignore the comment on Dennis leaving for a solo career, because there is just so much wrong with that statement.

But the reason i post this, is because i wonder if he ever looks in on comments here? We have generally been pretty nice in our comments about him i think (Me, being a rather large fan of his (i walk around everyday with his guitar pick necklass) always tries to stick up for him, except that crap on Cyclorama he did, no offense if you ever read this), it also makes me wonder if the others ever look in on forums such as this.....they prob dont look at the Styx forum, because that thing is just filled with junk posts. We actually get good discussions on here. Im not sure where else they would look to see remotely good discussions.

No offense to Mr. Gowan, but until he writes a couple of Top Ten Styx songs, there IS no debate. He seems like a nice guy, but the chart success of Styx before and after he joined the band really speaks for itself. I do give him props for participating in the Plexiglas Toilet video..very cool.

NJB

That video was hilarious. All the videos he is in are great tho (ya know like the famous song)

You cant compare chart success because its a different era, look at many bands putting out new stuff, it will never chart because thats not the type of stuff that makes the charts, so their only comparison is their stage performance, and i cant comment on that because i was never alive to hear Styx with the original members.

But in his defense he did get Styx on the charts this era with their cover of I am the Walrus, plus his solo stuff speaks for itself and in my opinion is some of the greatest music i have ever heard.

You cant compare chart success because its a different era, look at many bands putting out new stuff, it will never chart because thats not the type of stuff that makes the charts, so their only comparison is their stage performance, and i cant comment on that because i was never alive to hear Styx with the original members.

But in his defense he did get Styx on the charts this era with their cover of I am the Walrus, plus his solo stuff speaks for itself and in my opinion is some of the greatest music i have ever heard.

First off, you can't blame Gowan for anything related to what happened between DDY and the the rest of Styx. He wasn't part of it. He simply took the offer Styx made to him. Which was a smart move for him. Personally, I do not care for his performances of DDY's songs. On the subject of chart success, you can compare them if you are speaking of it in the same era. Hands down Styx and primarily because of DDY's contributions had chart success that Gowan could only dream of. Without the Styx marque behind him Gowan was and still is primarily an artist that saw the majority of his success in Canada. He never broke the U.S. market. Styx on the other hand is a much different story. With respect to the which is better (DDY Styx era\Current Styx) I think it's hard to really put a true picture on it. Why? Because they haven't put out or played much new material with the current lineup. They are leaning on their back catalog. If you were to gauge it on Cyclorama, it's reception wasn't even luke warm. In a nut shell, I guess my point is that the sucess of the current Styx really has nothing to do with Gowan directly. I am sure that JY\TS could plug in someone else that as long as they can perform their parts well the results would be the same.

Edited by Boomchild

Oh, I don't blame LG for anything related to the DDY-leaving-the-band situation. And I do realize that his participation in Styx came in a far different era than DDY. I just hate it when anyone compares the two, especially other band members...you know, I think JY made a comment awhile back about LG having played more gigs than DDY as a Styx member. Dumb stuff like that, y'know? Who are they trying to kid?

Edited by Blackwall76

Oh, I don't blame LG for anything related to the DDY-leaving-the-band situation. And I do realize that his participation in Styx came in a far different era than DDY. I just hate it when anyone compares the two, especially other band members...you know, I think JY made a comment awhile back about LG having played more gigs than DDY as a Styx member. Dumb stuff like that, y'know? Who are they trying to kid?

What is interesting is that some people comment about Gowan as if he did play a role in it. Which is crazy. I think it's impossible not to compare the two. Afterall, Gowan is relplacing a memebr that was part of the foundation of Styx and the most visiable memebr. Dennis has been referred to as "the voice of Styx". The gigs comment, big deal. If you want to compare, compare who's contributions to the band put them on the map. Compare who was and is more successful as a solo artist. JY seems to prove time and timne again his resentment and jealousy towards DDY. To this day people\interviewers ask about DDY, his role, his songs,why he's not there etc. In fact I can't rememebr where someone interviewing JY asked about his songs, they center around what Tommy and DDY did. I can hear the little voice inside JY's head screaming "But,What About Me!".

• Like 1

When DOESN'T JY make a rude comment against DDY?
  • Like 1

I don't think I have ever blamed Lawrence, how can you? He is just the one they chose to take Dennis' place, if they chose anyone else I don't think the conversation would be any different except with the person in question.

As I have said many times, I don't mind the songs that Gowan has brought to Styx. I think they made his solo song A Criminal Mind theirs, that is great. Fields of the Brave and More Love for the Money are great as well.

This is where it gets screwy for me. While I don't like what they did and are doing to Dennis and will never spend my money on them anymore, my being a Styx fan makes me still like the work that they do. The CYO show was very good, I liked it better because there aren't any DeYoung songs in it beyond Lorelei and a few in the medley. I have the Styx cd of the Arch Allies and that cover of Grand Illusion was pretty damn good, but none compare to the Return to Paradise concert, lol.

I think all the fans of Dennis(me included) were tough not on Larry personally, but his attempt to fill some huge shoes. I think even Christ would have got bad reviews from us <looks up waiting for the lightning>.

Dennis has said it himself, a big part of his success as a singer is that he doesn't sound like anyone else.You can't replace a Dennis Deyoung. His unique sound and presence helped create the brand. Without his past contributions, Styx 2.0 would be irrelevant.

As much as they try to distance themselves from Dennis. By saying that they have toured more post 99 then thier heyday. I find it facinating that they would even say that since back then they were performing a new material pretty much every year. They may have performed more shows post 99, but its the same ole stuff. It's kinda like Bill Murray in Groundhog Day. The alarm clock goes off but its the same song. JY and Tommy look at each other and its "I got you babe" .... less "Babe" of course....

• Like 1

I really havent heard comments on Gowan playing a role...then again i have only become a part of the whole fan community a few years ago, so i probably missed it.