DDY Talk
Ron

JY interview 2/4/2013

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-207_162-57567211/styx-on-touring-and-surfing-the-giant-wave-of-joy/

Young says the last time they were considering working together was in 1999 when they had a chance to go on a major tour.

"It was a 10-lane super highway of opportunity and he didn't feel well enough to go on the road," recalls Young. "When album sales are down, the only way a band has to really pay their mortgages is to get out there and perform live. We went on without him. I offered him to just do part of the deal and ultimately he didn't want to do that. He sued us in federal court over the use of the name years later. We settled a year after that. We have use of the name. He can't use it -- except to say he can play as Dennis DeYoung, performing the music of Styx. And he gets a piece of the action of whatever we do."

Part of the deal? Joke of the day. And what ever happened to the terms of the court settlement being sealed so neither party can publicly discuss the terms of the arrangement?

Its good too see he had some nice comments about Dennis in there. That being said.....

I never really care for his interviews for some reason. He never really seems to be in it for the fans, in my opinion....like he says with new songs, they wont get air time, so why bother.....thats a horrible attitude to have! Look at Dennis! He had a hit in Canada! Yes i realize that to get air time is extremely hard, and probably not going to happen, but come on, you should put out stuff for the fans who continue to support you year after year. Heck, Tommy recently got air time with the Great Divide!

And i agree Ron, i read that portion and just laughed, its pretty clear he never wanted Dennis back in the band! I have a feeling it was more JY than Tommy back then that wanted Dennis out. Dennis came to Tommy Seven Deadly Zens borders shows and sang a few songs so if they were on bad terms i dont think Dennis would have came out for that.

I dont think what he said counts as breaking the terms of court...yes its unprofessional, but he didnt give numbers or anything...just information we all already assumed.

Might be a statute of limitations thing...

Plus he gets a piece of the action... Now I see why JY has been so nasty on any mention of Dennis. He's cutting in on JY's IRA... :)

JY has taken a softer tach on Dennis in the last few years. I dont ever see Dennis with them again. But who knows. Time does a cpl things. Changes people. And distance from contentious issues dulls thier edge...

As far as JY goes, this just shows that for him it all comes down to money. I can see why he is not that motivated to write new music. Atfer all, over his entire career he never wrote anything that produced large royalties and the odds that in the future it would be him instead of TS are slim. With regards to a reunion with DDY, I doubt that will even happen at this point. It's clear that even with the years apart they spent the first time, some wounds stil seemed to be open. Dennis has said that he is open to it. If it was me I would have a hard time being willing to do it if they did that to me.

Sounds like JY may have had a "change of heart", though it sounds to me it must be more of an "I've got an empty of wallet so let's get the man who wrote the hits that made us rich back so we can use him again" statement.

I was on the old Styx website's (paradisetheater.com) board back when the whole ousting of Dennis took place, and both TS and JY were very vocal about how "Dennis didn't want to tour", which was only partially true. Fortunately, Dennis had his own forum in his original website (grandillusion.com) in which to air his comments since he was locked out of the PT.com site when the other members decided to kick him out. Dennis asked for time to get a diagnosis and treatment for his illness, and the others flat out refused to do so, even going so far as to say they were certain he wasn't even ill. Does anyone else remember their nasty comments on "Behind The Music"? JY was being a smart a**, saying that Dennis had been to 18 different doctors and didn't have a diagnosis, and if they can't find anything wrong... Of course, we now know Dennis needed to see the right kind of doctors and have the right tests done, but his hostility towards Dennis was really apparent at that time.

As for Dennis going back, I think he'd love to be invited back into Styx. After all, he founded the band and took it to its success with his hits and voice. While I find what was done to him reprehensible, I've come to enjoy his solo shows more than I did Styx shows, so from my point of view, I'd prefer he continue touring solo, and I've been seeing Styx/Dennis since the 70s.

It is pretty clear that JY is only in it for them money. In my opinion he was never a great songwriter, he is the only one out of the band members that i dont own solo works from (although i dont have much of Glens stuff, but im working on it).

After seeing Dennis live, and styx live, i like them seperate...it would be nice to see a one off reunion show since it was never possible in my time to see them together but other than that i would much rather have them apart, more oppertunities for them to be in my area, and you get to hear different tunes/different takes on the tunes. (I LOVE the acoustic version of dont let it end)

he is the only one out of the band members that i dont own solo works from (although i dont have much of Glens stuff, but im working on it).

As far as JY's solo albums you aren't missing anything. In fact, some of them are painful to listen to. As far as a reunion goes, I'm not for it. To me it would be only for the money and not in thier hearts. Except for Dennis. Besides that I don't feel he needs to be in the company of people like that after what they did to him. Now I no way think Dennis is an ahgel and at times could be hard to deal with but, he didn't deserve they way they just dumped him.

Besides that I don't feel he needs to be in the company of people like that after what they did to him.

I agree, i think that the music would suffer because of the tensions on stage

I agree, i think that the music would suffer because of the tensions on stage

I have talked with people that support a reunion, and specifically brought this up. Their reasoning is that as professional musicians, the artists would do their job and perform the music. I equate this thinking similar to your own work environment: Everyone has someone that they can't stand to work with, but you tolerate them for the sake of getting the job done.

I have talked with people that support a reunion, and specifically brought this up. Their reasoning is that as professional musicians, the artists would do their job and perform the music. I equate this thinking similar to your own work environment: Everyone has someone that they can't stand to work with, but you tolerate them for the sake of getting the job done.

I wonder if this was somewhat the case back when they reunited in '95. After all, all of them were not doing much musically.