DDY Talk

JY interview 2/4/2013

Ron

I have talked with people that support a reunion, and specifically brought this up. Their reasoning is that as professional musicians, the artists would do their job and perform the music. I equate this thinking similar to your own work environment: Everyone has someone that they can't stand to work with, but you tolerate them for the sake of getting the job done.

I can agree with this to a point, but there is still a difference in performing, when its your 'job' and you have to be with the people you with even if you dont want too, versus people you are comfortable around. Im not saying a reunion would sound bad, but i dont think it would be anything amazing either.

I can agree with this to a point, but there is still a difference in performing, when its your 'job' and you have to be with the people you with even if you dont want too, versus people you are comfortable around. Im not saying a reunion would sound bad, but i dont think it would be anything amazing either.

My feeling is that there is too much damage done to the relationship(s) now for this ever to be a real possibility. i don't see them parting with Gowan and I canmot picture Dennis and Gowan being there at the same time. Also, it seems that they are all comfortable where they are and the money they are making.

My feeling is that there is too much damage done to the relationship(s) now for this ever to be a real possibility. i don't see them parting with Gowan and I canmot picture Dennis and Gowan being there at the same time. Also, it seems that they are all comfortable where they are and the money they are making.

The only way i could see Gowan leaving Styx, even just for a little bit, would be to do some shows for his new album coming out in a few years. But i prefer everyone seperate anyway, Gowans personality compliments Tommys very well on stage.

It would be neat if Chuck would turn up at a few of Dennis's shows every once in awhile, however.

It would be neat if Chuck would turn up at a few of Dennis's shows every once in awhile, however.

That will happen when they are playing ice hockey over the river Styx as JY would put it. Chuck has changed his stance on Dennis over the years. He went from saying "It would be nice for them to reunite before another one of them is gone" to "I prefer to live in the hear and now and Dennis and I have nothing to talk aobut". Having him join Dennis for one of his shows would be so two faced. It was his vote that enabled JY and TS to boot Dennis. How can a you do that to a childhood friend? Someone that was there from the very beginning and let's face it, no one would have heard of Chuck without Dennis being part of it. It was an F.U. as clear as glass. Now Chcuk could site his attitude is due to Dennis suing him and the rest of them. But, that would be omitting that when Dennis attempted to discuss the matter directly they all turned a deaf ear and refused to even respond to his requests,

That will happen when they are playing ice hockey over the river Styx as JY would put it. Chuck has changed his stance on Dennis over the years. He went from saying "It would be nice for them to reunite before another one of them is gone" to "I prefer to live in the hear and now and Dennis and I have nothing to talk aobut".

I didnt know about that second quote there, i heard him say that it would be nice for them to reunite before another is gone, and i thought thats the last he said of the matter. You could tell reading his book that he was mad at Dennis, but that was written at the time when everything was going on, so i figured he softened up as the years went on.

I didnt know about that second quote there, i heard him say that it would be nice for them to reunite before another is gone, and i thought thats the last he said of the matter. You could tell reading his book that he was mad at Dennis, but that was written at the time when everything was going on, so i figured he softened up as the years went on.

From a reliable source that has spoken directly with Chuck he has no interest at this point in speaking with Dennis. The second quote I noted is more recent then previous ones that were printed in the press.

When the replacing of Dennis first happened was it ever actually intended to be temporary or did they know from the start this was going to be a 'permanent'?

I know that at first the band was telling some lies to fans that Dennis would always be welcomed back.

Here is what I think they should have done, and if they were any kind of band mates this would have happened:

Dennis is severely ill and doesn't feel up to touring at the moment. Make an arrangement with him that until he is better, they (Styx) goes on tour with someone plugged into his spot and once he did get better, pick him up and resume.

We know that never happened though, nor will it, nor do I want it....What I want is for them to stop making these kind of responses that Dennis was never happy in Styx, or that he can't rock, or that he doesn't like to tour, stop trying to erase Dennis' contributions or giving him credit for songs that he wrote, which is why they didn't list the songs during the credits of the Grand Illusion/Pieces of Eight show.....it was on VH-1 Classic a few weeks ago.

Which is good because now, I don't have to waste my money on it.

Ever since I started really learning about what really happened in Styx, I've had these thoughts swimming around my mind.

Edited by Mr.Roboto571985

Whether the replacement of Dennis was originally planned to be permanent or temporary by those that made the decision to tour without him is probably a question that will never be (honestly) answered. However, from what I have read Dennis thought this was temporary until he was well enough to tour.

When the Rockline interview aired with Tommy and JY, and the only mention of Dennis was that he "was ill" and would not be touring, I knew something was up. I wanted to call and ask, but I had a feeling that the screener was not going to put any calls though about Dennis.

I think that the decision to go out on tour without DDY and bring in a replacement was never meant to be temporary. I think that JY, TS felt they had a perfect oportunity to take full control of the band's direction and would no longer have to hash out things with DDY. A light bulb went on in their heads that they were no longer looking or needing to put out albums, get radio airplay to build a following and make money. They could now do it without him. I remember reading the article in Goldmine at the time where a statement was made that "Dennis has passed the baton to Tommy". As if Dennis chose to bow out of Styx.