DDY Talk
Ron

Commentary if Styx is one of the Greatest Rock Bands

From the article: "One version of Styx, seen only on a charity telethon, actually had both DeYoung and Gowan on stage together."

Ummmm...No.

John Young? Really?

Hmmmm, Gowan and Deyoung in the same band, Why not? Good things could definitely come out of that. I like Gowan for the songs he has brought, but not his takes on DeYoung's songs.

I just had an interesting thought on a similar subject with this. Gowan has said that he wants to perform Mr. Roboto, saying that it is an important part of why Styx is as famous and successful as it is, but as far as I know nothing has been done with it. I wonder if Gowan were to push hard enough for it would they kick him to the curb because of it? If so I think it would be an interesting slap in the face to Styx, if Dennis were to offer him the second keyboard position in his band. Just a thought.....

Edited by Mr.Roboto571985

I think the fact that many Styx songs are still played on the air/satellite waves over 30 years after the songs were recorded is as good a barometer as there is for how good they were/are... And if you walk up to most people on the street and say "Can you name me one Styx song", I'm betting that 8 out of 10 heard of them and a majority can name a song, if not sing a few...

As for the label "Rock Band", Your gonna get lots of opinions on exactly what a "Rock Band" is... Styx was a hybrid band.. Rock(Hard/Soft/Progressive/Art)/Popular music... And I think thats what made them so good. They had songs that appealed to a wide swath of listeners...

So IMO, Yes, They are one of the great Rock Bands...

And Gowan, Dennis on the same stage... That would be fun... And I'm with Bclark71... I didn't see Gowan on stage in that benefit concert... I wasn't there, but I saw footage... The author also referred to JY as "John Young"... so some facts seem a bit out of sync or odd...

PeAcE... R2K

• Like 1

John Young? Really?

I just had an interesting thought on a similar subject with this. Gowan has said that he wants to perform Mr. Roboto, saying that it is an important part of why Styx is as famous and successful as it is, but as far as I know nothing has been done with it. I wonder if Gowan were to push hard enough for it would they kick him to the curb because of it? If so I think it would be an interesting slap in the face to Styx, if Dennis were to offer him the second keyboard position in his band. Just a thought.....

I read or heard Gowan talking about the subject about his input on their set list. He said something to the effect that he used to do that but he now feels that it is best left up to JY and Tommy. This makes you think that his input and suggestions were not warmly received.

I wonder how Gowan feels about being in a band where his opinion more or less doesn't matter?

$$$,$$$.$$ ... That's a direct quote...

$$$,$$$.$$ ... That's a direct quote...

Exactly. In fact I believe that everyone except TS, JY and Cp are contracted as "employees" and not full fledged band members with ownership in it.

My friend went to see Styx at MusicFest in 2010 i believe it was, i couldnt go, but when i said one time that they dont play roboto, he was adamant that they played it when he saw them. So do they play it at certain times?