DDY Talk
Ron

Atlantic City 9/25/2010

Here is the big thing I walked away with after the show: For years Dennis has been surrounded by very talented musicians, and they put on a good show. The group that is touring now is a band--they are one entity. And it makes a big difference. It is really amazing the difference. If they were able to tour under a certain name (which they can't) you would think that was how they were always meant to sound. Even those band members that worked with Dennis in the past were talented, (well Tommy Shaw certainly was) the vision and the direction of the band was always from Dennis. Whether you like that or not, that's how it was. Just listening to this band Saturday night, it is obvious that Styx could have easily been called "The Dennis DeYoung Band". I saw a tight performance, while recent YouTube videos of the current Styx demonstrate that they can't even keep a steady tempo.

That being said, the show was pretty much what you would expect: Styx Greatest Hits. The only 'Styx Hits' missing were Crystal Ball and Miss America. Desert Moon is added to the set. This was the first show where Light Up was omitted, and Don't Let It End was performed acoustically and sounded amazing. Show Me the Way is now performed in a "full band" version.

Probably one of the coolest parts of the show was the guitar part in Suite Madame Blue right before the 'Americas'. You know, that part that JY always used to f*** up and play too fast, and John/Todd would have to work the tempo back to where it belonged before the vocals kicked in. BOTH August and Jimmy did it together, starting it from the raised portion of the stage in front of the drum kit. It was an "I didn't expect that" moment.

Thanks for posting a review Ron. I too am getting the impression that this has become more of a band then just hired musicians to back the performer. What would be nice is to see a new album from this current line up. Sadly, it doesn't seem that will be the case since I believe Dennis commented recently that does not expect to be working on any new projects in the near future.

Now we're cooking with gas! Whatever you did, Ron, the site is coming up for me so much faster!

Good review. This new band really sounds like it has jelled into a tight unit. Seems to have given Dennis a whole new concert life. This is, most certainly, a good thing.

Still hoping I can get to one of the acoustic shows.