DDY Talk
mtlfan

New Years in Niagra Falls

Two years ago, Dennis and his band were the headliner act for the New Year's concert in Niagra Falls, Ontario, Canada, with Honeymoon Suite.

This year Styx is the headliner act for the same New Year's concert in Niagra Falls, Ontario, Canada, with Glass Tiger.

I could say something about Styx finding a Symphony and recording a DVD two years after Dennis did, but I'll let it go for now.

Not that I don't enjoy Styx, I still do very much. It's just that the copycat thing seems to be too obvious to explain any other way.

I could say something about Styx finding a Symphony and recording a DVD two years after Dennis did, but I'll let it go for now.

Not that I don't enjoy Styx, I still do very much. It's just that the copycat thing seems to be too obvious to explain any other way.

What else can be said about this subject? After all, what can Styx do? They fired the person that was responsible for a huge chunk of the groups creative process and ideas.

What else can be said about this subject? After all, what can Styx do? They fired the person that was responsible for a huge chunk of the groups creative process and ideas.

Anyway, it was an enjoyable show in any case. Tommy looked frozen towards the end, poor fella.

Well I thought it was not that good. First off to hear them play a couple of the same songs that Dennis did 2 years ago annoyed me. Copycat is the correct term to use. But what bothered me the most was how Global covered the broadcast. Cutting for commercials before the end of songs or still talking as one of the songs already started. At least we did not see that when Dennis performed there. I think there should be a tour where Dennis is the headliner and Styx is the opening act and we have some kind of a showdown. Dennis would win hands down. Anyways as far as for me Styx today is a cover band while Dennis with his lineup of musicians is the real STYX.

Happy New Year Everyone.

Yeah, the Global timing was very unprofessional. It was cool to see Chuck come out towards the end though.

Edited by mtlfan

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt: They are a band that was hired to do a gig, and not necessarily trying to be a "copycat". They had a good event two years ago with Dennis, and the promoters probably recognize the draw that music brings, and that (for the most part) both Styx and Dennis play completely different set lists, so with the popularity of Styx they probably felt it was a good decision to book them this year. But why not book Dennis again? It is my impression that this is a big thing each year, and booking the exact same act two years later would not be a wise choice.

I hope they let Gowan perform "Criminal Mind", at least.

I'll give them the benefit of the doubt: They are a band that was hired to do a gig, and not necessarily trying to be a "copycat". They had a good event two years ago with Dennis, and the promoters probably recognize the draw that music brings, and that (for the most part) both Styx and Dennis play completely different set lists, so with the popularity of Styx they probably felt it was a good decision to book them this year. But why not book Dennis again? It is my impression that this is a big thing each year, and booking the exact same act two years later would not be a wise choice.

I hope they let Gowan perform "Criminal Mind", at least.

Yep, he did Criminal Mind. The harmonies with JY and Tommy is actually better than the original .....

Speaking of different set lists, they did Grand Illusion and Come Sail Away. :huh:

Well, even he had been asked for this year, there is no way Dennis could have done this show, in my view, with his busy 101 schedule. Or maybe he just remembered how cold he got last time! :tongue:

I think it is really interesting how often the paths of both Fake Styx and Dennis cross. They really do often play the exact same venues.

And I am sure Traveling Styx was quite aware which songs are the big hits in Canada. One of Gowan's and several of DDY's. My guess is they would have sneaked in "100 Years from Now" if they could have gotten away with it. (J/K) ;)

My guess is they would have sneaked in "100 Years from Now" if they could have gotten away with it. (J/K) ;)

I'm not sure about that. I think JY would consider it a "Show Tune". :)