DDY Talk

Dennis' Chicago show

mrstromboli

For me, seeing Dennis at home in front of what he admittedly feels is his toughest audience and if I may say, his most affectionate, is the best of the best.

It was great to be among those last night in attendance at the HOB.

As Liz said, we sang right along with him from the opening song and never stopped. We were a loud and boisterous bunch befitting of the venue.

Nice, nice place for a show and didn't the cool but unforgiving hardwood floor feel good once I took my shoes off? LOL

Best Thing was nothing short of fabulous. It seemed Dennis was pleased too. :-)

I'll take Borrowed Time anyway I can get it and we got it last night as a blues shuffle. Pieces of Eight is a keeper. I found myself remembering the first time I played POE and heard the intro; just his voice and the piano. How great it was to hear it live after so many years! <G>

CSA now the standard encore had Dennis telling us sometimes in life you have to find another dream. His daughter joined the others on stage and it was great to see the interaction between father and daughter as they sang the song he years ago often dedicated to her. :-)

When we shouted for another, he obliged us with a little Jerry Lee Lewis because "we don't know any other songs"; seemingly unprepared we'd be asking for more.

I would be less than honest in saying I take issue with the sound man and his mixing. At times Dennis' voice was muffled beneath the volume of his band. Perhaps the sound problems came at the expense of having the board on stage guitar side instead of in the center of the room.

I hope Dennis does more Lost Treasures shows and adds more older material if that's somehow possible to do within the restraints of what he's obligated to keep in his set. A wonderful evening by still the best and purest voice of my generation.

Happy and Blessed Easter to all.

Shawn